LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

get_HTTP on LabVIEW 2010 for Mac

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to download data from a webpage using the get_HTTP block. On WINDOWS it works just fine but even the basic example does not run on my MAC. I am quite sure I am just not seeing the obvious, but the only idea I had was switching off firewall etc. which did not help.

Any Ideas?

the entire Error Code is:

Error 7 occurred at Call Library Function Node in LabVIEWHTTPClient.lvlib:GET.vi->get_HTTP.vi

Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer.
=========================
NI-488:  Nonexistent GPIB interface.

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 38
(4,925 Views)

I have LabVIEW on Linux and when I download the vi and directly press run it gets the redirection page and does not give any errors. The error talks about a file not being found. Did you check if you have GET.vi file in your labview directory under vi.lib under httpClient ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 38
(4,910 Views)

yes, I have the GET.vi, but also if I just use this vi it produced the same error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 38
(4,908 Views)

I see the same error on my Mac.  It acts like it is missing a library function, but it does not specify what file.

When I look at the VI Hierarchy, I see a LVGetFileType function which I cannot find.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 38
(4,883 Views)

Hello Arkadi

Thank you for your post, I am the applications engineer who will be supporting you with your query.

I am currently looking into known issues with MAC and LabVIEW and I will inform you if I find anything relevant.

In the meantime could I ask you to repair your installation of LabVIEW on the macintosh? This will ensure that all files are available and that there is no corruption.

The other thing I would like to point you to is the LabVIEW for MAC product page. Under the function tab is a list of LabVIEW functions with OS compatibility noted as well. Looking through this list I noticed that the http vi's are windows OS only.

If you have any further questions please get in touch.

Thank you

Stephanie L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 38
(4,870 Views)

Stephanie,

Usually Windows only VIs are in the Platform folder in vi.lib.  The HTTP functions are in Data Communications>>Protocols>>HTTP Client on the palette.  Neither the help window nor the detailed help mention any platform limitation.  The VIs are not broken when dropped into a diagram and they execute as stand alone VIs (although they do produce the error cited above).

Either the documentation is faulty somewhere, the VIs were misplaced on the palettes, or the wrong code was shipped for the CLFN inside the VIs (or some combination).  Since the VIs are password protected, I cannot see what is going on inside. From the error code and the VI hierarchy it looks like something called LVGetFileType is missing.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 38
(4,860 Views)

Have you tried to retrieve the HTTP data using DataSocket?

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3224

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 38
(4,857 Views)

Hello Arkadi

I have been speaking to a colleague regarding your MAC and http issue and unfortunately because our documentation illustrates that the function is not compatible with the MAC or Linux Operating systems and therefore it is something we don't support. The function may appear usable in the block diagram but as proven by the error message it does not execute and the program fails.

I have found a datasocket example which may be useful in your development, but please remember to check the MAC product page to ensure that the functions you are looking at are OS compatible.

Thank you

Stephanie L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 38
(4,816 Views)

Dear Stephanie,

now I am a little confused. The GET.vi function is found on my LabVIEW (professional development license, MAC OS) under: Data Communication -> Protocolls -> HTTP Client. It is not something I imported from a WINDOWS system or something - is it really that you supply fuctions embedded in the software distribution for MAC OS which do not work under MAC OS? Also the HTTP client functions are not listed in the functions list you redirected me to, I suppose that is because they belong to the internet toolbox which is availible for MAC OS. Also the function works just fine under LINUX.

I will have a look at the datasocket example and use that in the future, if the GET.vi is really not availible. But I wonder how to find out which of the fuctions distributed with my LabVIEW for MAC OS are actually working in MAC OS if I do not even find them in the functions list.

Kind Regards!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 38
(4,811 Views)

Now I found time to try to use the data socket to download data from a website.

I checked the functions list and the data socket blocks I use (DataSocket Open and DataSocket Read) are not marked as WINDOWS only.

However, I could not manage to download any data - the error is:

Error 1181 occurred at DataSocket Open in DataSocketExample.vi

Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  Protocol not recognized by LabVIEW.

This error occurs in MAC as well as in LINUX but in WINDOWS it works just fine. (maybe the GET.vi uses the datasocket blocks?)

I am pretty sure that I just do not see the obvious, downloading data is quite a basic task I would think and people must do it all the time - even on a MAC.

Does anybody have a hint for me?

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 38
(4,781 Views)