From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generate square waveform digital output on 6259

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I would like to generate 3 'simple' square digital output waveforms on NI 6259 board of 80Hz.

Because of the wiring of my testing tool piloted by 6259 board, I cannot use the counter output but I need to plug on 3 output lines.

I have re-used a vi already existing and done by a subcontractor but the waveform generated on my DUT has not the frequencies expected (though it seems correct on the generated graph). Indeed, there are some square waveforms, but not continuous. Some kind of 'salves' and the frequency 'chosen' does not correspond to frequency measured. If someone has an idea to help me, I have not a big experience on labview yet!

Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,868 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BRBASTS

You have 4 unique digital states that are meant to cycle.  Each cycle produces 1 full period of each of your square waves.  If you want the outputs to be at 80 Hz, you need to define the sample clock to run at 4*80 = 320 Hz.

The other thing you see on the scope is that there are short bursts of pulses with relative long times between the bursts.  The timing during the bursts are what the tasks control.  The time between bursts is caused by your use of the "Run Continuously" button.  Also that after starting them, you end vi execution almost immediately rather than waiting for them to run a while.  Ending vi execution initiates LabVIEW's auto-cleanup.  Those things account for the brief burst time and the long-ish time between bursts.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,810 Views)

Thank you Kevin for your explanation, I understand much better thanks to them, now this is ok.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,789 Views)