cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

functional global reach

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all.

Have Main app and 4 sub-apps.  Each of the 4 sub-apps has functional global (or action engine) to which it writes and reads a cluster of app specific data.

The idea was that using a functional global for each app then data could be passed between them all and the Main app.

For example, I want to be able to drop the FG of sub-app1 on the BD of sub-app2 and read the cluster of data.  At the same time sub-app1 would be updating its FG on its own BD.

This does not seem to be working.  For example the FG1 is being updated by sub-app1 BUT the instance of FG1 on the sub-app2 BD is empty.

None of the FG's is reentrant; therefore there should only ever be one instance of each FG, correct?  There is only one(1) instance of each FG on disk.  Each sub-app and FG is located in a separate LV Project.

Confused.

Battler.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,494 Views)

That definitely doesn't seem to make sense. What I would like you to do is to make a simple project that replicates the issue between two VIs and see if that is still causes issues. Maybe it would be worth to then post that project over here so we can understand clearly what's going on?

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 2 of 5
(2,489 Views)

I may be wrong but since the FG is running in different projects, i.e. different application instances, it cannot be used to exchange data.

In any case that are other way to do this, for example DataSocket....

Marco

Message 3 of 5
(2,473 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author battler.

MarcoMauri wrote:

I may be wrong but since the FG is running in different projects, i.e. different application instances, it cannot be used to exchange data.

In any case that are other way to do this, for example DataSocket....

Marco

I believe you are correct.

While both VIs are running in the two project go to the hiarchy screen and hit "ctrl-a" to show all.

You will see that the two FG are running is unique contexts. So this is the equivelent of one app talking to anothe app on the same machine or across PCs, so Datasockets, TCP/IP, VI server...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 5
(2,460 Views)

Thank you all for your responses.  Kudos for everybody! 😉

I migrated all my apps into a single(1) Project.  Thusfar eveything seems to be operating correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,427 Views)