LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

function generator virtual to physical

Hello, 

I know that labVIEW can work with the real world (physical) and the virtual world. labVIEW can communicate physical to virtual, meaning physical signals can be measured in labVIEW. However, can the opposite be done?

So, instead of labVIEW measuring signals from the real world can labVIEW send signals to the real world. In particular, I want to make a function generator in labVIEW (Virtual) and send it to a circuit using analog output devices. Is this possible to do? If so, is there any sample program where I can see how people have done so?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,730 Views)

Of course.  Now what you need in order to actually get that signal into the real world depends on the specs of your signal and the circuit you are sending it into.  But for starters, look in the Example Finder (Help->Find Examples) and do a search for DAQmx Analog Output.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(2,718 Views)

LabVIEW has a Function Generator VI that will make waveforms.  There are also hardware devices (some made by National Instruments) that have Digital-to-Analog capabilities.  The trick is to find one with sufficient output bandwidth for your needs.

Look in the LabVIEW Examples/Help for Function Generator.

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 6
(2,715 Views)

So I took a look at some of the examples provided my labVIEW and they actually seem pretty good. The block diagrams seem to be a bit more complex then what I am normally used to, but, for a function generator I wouldn't expect anything less. What are labVIEWs limitations on badwidth and frequency? Or should the question be about hardware's limitations and not labVIEWs?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,702 Views)

@kenypatel wrote:

What are labVIEWs limitations on badwidth and frequency? Or should the question be about hardware's limitations and not labVIEWs?

That is a hardware issue, not the software language.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,698 Views)

Also, in order for me to write my own function generator VI. What particular topics do you recommend I learn on labVIEW. I know DAQmx will be vital, but any tutorials or other resources anyone can point me to?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,693 Views)