From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fixed width font in string control

Solved!
Go to solution

@AristosQueue (NI) wrote:

Jeff: A monospaced font can still be called monospaced if hyphen and dash are double each other because the dash is, almost by definition, a double hyphen. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash

Other monospace fonts insist on every character being the same width. But there's a fundamental definitional problem when you have the term "monospace font" meeting up with characters whose widths are defined in terms of other characters. 🙂

This is why I got rid of my Adam.  Silly daisy wheel

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 39
(2,081 Views)

Thanks, zou.

I knew .net alternative way  but the code seems to be complicated.

My another question is why LabVIEW priced more than $5,000 (Developer Suite version) cannot present some fonts on the fundamental control in my computer.

Does anybody know the sequence of font name in Font dialog in LabVIEW?

It's interesting it is not alphabetical way.

Even in font dialog, I cannot distinguish some fonts (Consolas vs. Courier).

In some in early list of font list, there is no problem (Gothic).

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 39
(2,036 Views)

I don't know why they can't present the fonts on your computer.  But it presents the fonts just fine on my computer.  Maybe there is something wrong with your LabVIEW installation, or the rendering of fonts within Windows on your computer.

The list of fonts on my LabVIEW font dialog seems to be alphabetical.  However there is a group of 12 fonts at the bottom that are alphabetical within themselves, but are not where they would be in the long list above.  There are also a few dozen fonts with @ signs in front of them between the main group of alphabetical fonts and the bottom 12.

And remember, sometimes fonts with different names sometimes look nearly identical.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 39
(2,010 Views)

Thanks, RavensFan

That's what I want to know in my computer. I am using non-English Windows.

Definitely, as I mentioned, I found some similar reports has been done by other in non-English Windows since several years before. (I checked this problem in both LV2012/2014 versions)

I reported this problem to NI and am waiting for the response.

Today, however, I was surprised "officially" that I am not eligible to use LabVIEW 2014 service pack (SP)  though I am a user of 2014 patch version.

For your reference, NI insists more than 200 bugs were fixed in 2014 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 39
(2,001 Views)

If you have an active SSP, then the service pack update would be free to you as long as you download it during the your active SSP period.

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 39
(1,992 Views)

RavensFan, thanks for the information.

Yes, you are correct.  I got the big news officially from an agent during my trying to solve my trouble with the SP version, but I didn't understand this policy.

I need to pay the more money to use SP or solved version even if NI fixs this problem. 

I have never seen some tools having this basic problem even in international version of Windows.

I am talking about English font.

In any way, I hope this is not a real bug and my silly mistake because we have invested some money to follow the version from 8.0 to 2014.

(Unfortunately, my SSP period was expired in last year. So sad and this situation is not fair to me)

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 39
(1,988 Views)

Use Textbox is easy.

Demo attached.

George Zou
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 39
(1,943 Views)

Thanks, zou. Great example.

However, I need to know simple method though we know well about the solution.

It will be a good chance to think about NI.

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 39
(1,931 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author labmaster

Dear all:

I want to share the progress for this regard.
This is a bug (not display many fonts rightly) on a non-Enlgish version of Windows countrary to what some experts insisted.

To my knowledge, this kind of problem was reported in 2009 in the LabVIEW version of French and Chinese first in this forum.
However, other reported this more clearly as shown in the reference.

NI.com seemed not to test for every version of LabVIEW except English.

I am worrying about some system issues we don't know

However, by helping of NI Korea branch, this reported to NI.com more definitely now.

Enclosed is the temporal solution in LabVIEW by NI-Korea but I didn't try it because I don't want to apply for the temporal solution.

If you have a question on it, please contact your NI regional office.

(Copyright of this attachment: National Instrument, Korea)

Reference:
1. http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/string-control-problem/m-p/2701217/highlight/true#M802093

As my final remark, I want to share my unpleasant experience.
As I insisted, I submitted another bug to NI five years ago but this was closed without any discussion.
But, one "Knight" who participated in this forum wanted to verify this fact though this was not main topic.

I understood some experts was retired from NI.com or is very close relationship in business with NI.com.
I love NI, too and should agree that NI's contribution in measurement field.

However, your knowledge is not perfect and think about the right of customer.
and please do not try to protect NI.com for its improvement of product quality and customer's care  even in this discussion forum.

From my experience in two reportings, NI intended to verify some bug to the customer for every issues. This was very painful via emailing.

Understanding of issue and regeneration with some comments should be provided to NI.com.

(If you ask the detail of products, they will send an agent immediately.)
That's all. Only thing NI do is to publish a patch package for the bug or close the claim without any notification.
No reward about this.

My final questions is "Why didn't NI try to publish LabVIEW pricing >$7,000 without any patches?"

and why LabVIEW 2014 service pack (SP1) is the different product to LabVIEW 2014?

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 39
(1,827 Views)