From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fixed size array has no value change event

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm running LabVIEW 9.0 on WinXP, developing for Windows and cRIO (RT and FPGA).

I've created an array of fixed size (4 elements) of fixed point numbers. I've made the control available to the user on the Windows front panel. I plan to pass the values down thru the RT to the FPGA for use during measurements, so I've used the same type (fixed size array of Fixed Points) in all 3 locations. I want to trigger an event every time the value of the array (any element) changes (send new values to cRIO and save to disk). The "Value Change" event is grayed out for this control. No matter what I do, I have been unable to create a fixed size array of fixed points that will allow the Value Change event.

Is this a bug in LabVIEW, or a fundamental limitation?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,094 Views)

It seems I am unable to access the Value Change event for any fixed size or bounded array. For any variable sized array, the event is available.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,066 Views)

Here's a small piece to the puzzle; differences between FPGA and non-FPGA VIs

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Build-Array-in-FPGA-module-SOMETIMES-gives-error-quot-Arrays/m-p/603...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,056 Views)

Cant you use a preinitialized 4 slot array as a dynamic array but remove the indicators for index control?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,043 Views)

Yes, that is what I have done. It seems to be a good workaround. I still don't understand why the Value Change event is not available, tho.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,034 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LabVU_Dog

Hi LabVU_Dog,

I'm not entirely sure why the Value Change event isn't available, but it may have to do with the lack of full support for fixed-sized arrays outside of the FPGA Module.  Here's an article about that and possible workarounds for using fixed-sized arrays.

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,987 Views)

Thats the information I was looking for. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,942 Views)