LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filter slope of multipass moving average

Solved!
Go to solution

Your calculation of gain in dB is correct: Gain(dB) = 20*log(Output Amplitude/Input Amplitude), where the log is base 10. Your expectation that the signal amplitude would be half at -3 dB is incorrect.  At -3 dB, the power (not amplitude) is half of the unfiltered power.  Since power is proportional to amplitude squared, the amplitude (to get half power) is 1/sqrt(2) = 0.707 at -3 dB.

Message 11 of 13
(928 Views)

The equation for the envelope of the frequency response can be obtained by noting that the absolute value of the numerator sin(wM/2) varies between 0 and 1.  So its upper edge is 1, and you can replace sin(wM/2) with unity, to find the upper envelope of H(w). (This envelope only applies for wM/2>Pi, which is the first zero of the numerator.)  Thus you get

envelope of H(w)= 1/[M*sin(w/2)]^Mp. 

Note also that when w/2<<1, you can use the approximation sinx ~= x:

envelope of H(w) ~= 1/[M*w/2]^Mp

Therefore the envelope of H(w) is proportional to 1/w, 1/w^2, 1/w^3 when Mp=1,2,3.  Now you see why the envelope's slope is 20, 40, 60 dB/decade when Mp=1,2,3.  (Apply the equation for gain in dB, when w changes by 10X.)  The approximation above is decent only when 2Pi/M < w << 1.  If the number of moving average points, M, is small, for example a 5 point moving average, then there will be no frequencies which satisfy the preceding inequality for w.  But you chose M=500, so there is a range of frequencies where the 20 dB/decade rolloff is apparent.  If you look carefully at your plot, you will see that the frequency response starts to deviate from 20 dB/decade as frequency f (=w/2Pi) approaches 0.5 (the Nyquist frequency).  This is because you are getting into the range where sin(x)~=x is not accurate.

Final comment: Since you apparently care about the frequency response properties of your lowpass filter, you might want to use a different filter.  Other FIR and IIR filters have flatter passbands, sharper rolloff around the cutoff frequency, and lower sidebands.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(908 Views)

Hey WCR,

thank you for your detailed answer! As I only want the DC of my signal, the moving average gives satisfying results. But I am new in the field of digital filters so I want to understand the derivation of frequency response from transfer function or cut off frequency from in dependency of points used for averaging and so on.

kind regards

Slev1n

Message 13 of 13
(884 Views)