LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fifo shared variable programmatic access

Good evening!

I have a question regarding programmatic access of shared variables.  I understand that to

change the IP Address of the remote computer "on the fly", I need to replace shared

variable nodes with programmatic access 'Read Variable' and 'Write Variable'.  I have done

this for network-shared variables that have aliasing enabled. 

For network-shared variables that also have RT FIFO enabled, the option for replacing with

programmatic access is disabled.  I manually replaced the nodes with 'Read Variable',

but nothing happened.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  I am using the RT FIFO's (one for timestamps and

another for an array of 97 data values) to monitor measurements from a Compact RIO on

a Windows PC.

Thanks,

Hamilton Woods

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,997 Views)

Update:

I have had a suggestion to consider using network streams instead of RT FIFO network-shared variables.

I am desiring to pump timestamp and measured data to a Windows PC from a Compact RIO.

Any other suggestions for how to do this? 

Any areas of concern for using network streams?

Thanks,

Hamilton Woods

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,961 Views)

Hi Hamilton_Woods,

If the timestamp is part of the array you'll be sending over the network stream, then a network stream would be fine to use to send your data.  I'm unsure why you can't replace an RT FIFO with programmatic access, I'll look into this further.

Regards,

Bobby Breyer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,954 Views)

Bobby,

Any discoveries regarding programmatic access of RT FIFO network-shared variables?

Thanks,

Hamilton Woods

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,937 Views)

Hi Hamilton_Woods,

We're still looking into this internally.

Regards,

Bobby Breyer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,926 Views)

Hi Hamilton_Woods,

It looks like you can still programmatically do this, however the functionality to drop a Network Shared FIFO then replace it with programmatic access is disabled.  I'll go ahead and file a request on this.  Thanks for the heads up!

Regards,

Bobby Breyer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,914 Views)

Bobby,

I already attempted to perform a programmatic access of the RT FIFO by using the read shared variable

function in the same way that I am using it to read other shared variables.  It doesn't work for me.

I intend to replace the RT FIFO shared variables with network streams when I get a chance.

Thanks for your help,

Hamilton Woods

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,907 Views)

I come across the same question: programmtic acess to FIFO shared variable.

It doesn't allow to do this in LV2014.

Any update? 

Thanks

Yan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,804 Views)

Hello Yan,

It seems that this thread is quite old and kind of out of place.  Would you mind creating a new thread for this question in the LabVIEW RT Forum?

Regards,

Thomas C.
FlexRIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,785 Views)