LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 7 - a common frustration due to weakness in Open File+.vi

Solved!
Go to solution

OK, I've searched and read dozens of posts on this topic. But none of them answer my question:

For many years, Labview has had this behaviour: I can't find a file, so I throw the error text:

Error 7 occurred at Open File+.vi:Open File

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS, and / on UNIX.
---
NI-488: Non-existent board.

We've all seen this on numerous occasions. The reason this crops up every couiple of days on the forums is that the error message does not give the name of the file that could not be found. Sorting this problem would be so much easier if the filename was shown, instead of the baffling/misleading "NI-488: Non-existent board".

I've edited my "open file+.vi" to always display the missing filename. The original code suggests the missing filename is passed, but only in limited cases. I get caught out often with this, and its a big time-waster, stepping thru code to find out what triggered it, or worse still trying to help a client over the phone who has unwittingly deleted a file or folder. If the error code displayed the name of the missing file, the solution is normally obvious, even with a compiled exe.

Am I missing something here ? Is there some reason to not have the missing filename displayed ?

I'm using lv7.1 (on a legacy project) but from prevalence of "error 7" the forum posts here it seems this problem still persists today. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,367 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author effgee

I believe this was deprecated in a newer version of LabVIEW (not sure which version). In LV2012 it's the "Open/Replace/Create" and it DOES give you the filename in the error dialog (near the bottom).

error.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,363 Views)

Thanks for that. Nice to see it finally fixed after 8+ years. I can't justify annual updates given my low level of use.

More a discussion for the 'suggestions' forum I guess, but there are a bunch of things - like that - about Labview that make it unnecessarily challengining/annoying, especially as a casual user. Possibly my biggest bugbear is the extremely fine motor skills required to mouse-pick wires and other items on today's high res screens.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,352 Views)

I'll have to agree with you on your "bugbear". It gets even more challenging as you get older too...Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,350 Views)

Yes, that's what I've found too 😞

I've had some joy using the 'magnifier' option on microsoft mice (which isn't always available), plus this free utility http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/public/Magnifyer1000.zip

Actually, reading back over the source of that utility reveals apparently there's a magnifier built into windows 7. I'll have to investigate that now that I'm using windows 7.

[edit]

try this and this (where it says "ease of  Access keyboard shortcuts")

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,343 Views)