From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 7- Creating an .exe from a VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I know there are a lot of questions about error 7 but its such a broad error applied to so many different types of programs and it was very hard for me to find the solution that best fits my program. Also, I am not very advanced in labview and its is hard to apply other solutions to my program correctly.

I am trying to compile a program that was originally running on a computer with Labview 2010 but continuously get error 7-file not found. I have attached the original program for your use.

Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,972 Views)
So what file is missing? When does this error occur? When you open the top-level VI? When you run it? When you build an executable?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,942 Views)

There are a few issues...

I do not know where this ini file should be.

The VI requires correct hardware configuration to run 

It is password protected.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,938 Views)

The Program runs great as is but when we try to create the .exe and then try to run that, it comes up with the error 7.

Sorry, Password is fwm. I tried to attach the .exe that we created but it said the file was not able to be added, so the .ini was another file created in the compiling process and was the only other thing I could attach.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,874 Views)

Try to go Edit -> Reinitialize all values to default and run VI without changing any control values.

It looks like you change path and Stop level to correct values before you run VI and it functions normally. Exe is running with default values: one of the values read from AI is above default stop level, it stops reading. Then it tries to save report to an empty file and gives error - file not found.

Though in 2011 it gives a different warning when trying to save report to an empty file. Try to create build of exe from scratch (also into different destination folder), do not use old build configuration.

Does error happen during exe load or exe loads fine and runs first iteration?

PS. Please edit your first post - add VI password there, so that others do not need to read the whole thread to open VI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,859 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author erorick

All,

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I ended up finding a solution on the NI website. We needed to add two folders to our build in order to run the .exe because of the Reporting file path.

The solution is found below for those of you who may have the same issue.

[1] http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8A0E6274D9BD7B1986256F62006AD402

[2] http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lverror/misc_lv_error_codes/

Thanks,

erorick

Message 6 of 6
(2,778 Views)