LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 6 in write to spreadsheet file

Dhouston wrote:

2. Can you take out the DAQ parts and see the same issue? 

I do not know how to operate the VI with the DAQ Assistant.  I am still new to Labview.  I do not understand how to apply the data acquisition VIs involving Reading, Creating, Triggering, etc. data acquisition events.

Charlie is saying to totally remove the DAQ part of the code and pass in repeated set data into the file IO node in order to possibly isolate the issue.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(588 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

We only open the file when the program is stopped.  

If the file is only examined after you stop the program, then just avoid the whole question and write the file only once, when you push the STOP button (or whatever stops the program)?

Just as I stated in message 2.  I'm worried that Windows isn't releasing the file quick enough and therefore, accaisionally, you will get a message saying the file is in use.  So, once again, my advice is to just write the file once either when you get your error or when you quit.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(585 Views)

The file is written to each time the components cycle because we need to know th exact point when the component(s) fails.  If we write only one time, we can miss the cycle count that we need.  Write To Spreadsheet File does not have any error handling nodes to wire into, so how do I accomplish what you are saying when you say "write to the file when you get an error"?

In fact, we recently had a power outage that knocked out the computer executing the program.  However, the file was still up to date due to the constant writing each time the components cycle.

Your point about Windows not releasing the file quick enough is a new area to look at.  However, due to our fast cycling rate and tight requirements for count accuracy, I do not know how to effectively handle this situation.  If the computer loses power before a write is executed, we could lose a large number of cycle counts if we have the program writing only occasionally instead of each time.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(565 Views)

@Dhouston wrote:
In fact, we recently had a power outage that knocked out the computer executing the program.  However, the file was still up to date due to the constant writing each time the components cycle

If your system is as critical as you are letting on, you really should be using a UPS.

@Dhouston wrote:

so how do I accomplish what you are saying when you say "write to the file when you get an error"?

You are already performing checks to see if the component failed.  On unit failure, log.  If no failure, you don't seem to care, so why bother logging?  It's a simple case structure.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(562 Views)