LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

elvis function generator always on

Hi,

I have been playing around with the ELVIS for a while and noticed that the function generator will sometimes stay on when not set to manual. I determined this when i was experimenting with some op-amps and noticed that the position of the op-amp on the prototyping board would affect the amount of noise at the output of the amplifier. It turned out the printed wires on the front of the prototyping board where not shielded and one of them was connected to the Elvis function generator (which stays on sometimes). When an op-amp is placed near the exposed printed wires, function generator noise appears in my op-amp output. My current fix for this is to set the Elvis function generator to manual and turn the frequency and amplitude way down.

As you might guess, I’m not particularly impressed with the ELVIS unit. Why? well besides the 12 hours or so i spent trying to figure out why my op-amps were acting up, the prototyping board should be better shielded. Even if the function generator problem is resolved, there are still other printed wires that are exposed that can inject noise into circuits placed on the prototyping board.

The function generator exposed wire is on the left side about 2 inches from the bottom of the breadboard.
There are probably other places where noise can creep in on the Elvis board but I don’t know where they are at.

Also, the multimeter on the Elvis is flaky. Sometimes it fails to zero in voltage mode unless i short the two leads together when i start the multimeter VI.

when will new software updates be available for Elvis?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,307 Views)
some one want to move this post to the correct location? Can't figure out how to do it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,296 Views)
Hi,

Which version of NI-ELVIS are you currently using? NI-ELVIS 2.0.1 is the current ELVIS software available:

http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/0280F23C58AAB00486256F150078C338?opendocument&node=132060_US

This version provides support for software nulling of the NI ELVIS Digital Multimeter Soft Front Panel (SFP) instrument.

Thanks,
Lesley Y.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,271 Views)