From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawing catenary lines on a picture

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I currently draw straight lines between 2 selected controls on my FP, with 5 pixel width,and shadow.... so they look like wires.

I would prefer to join those points with a line that has some "droop"...a gravity like effect.

Are there any blocks for computing parabolic paths between 2 points ? Or has someone used a curve fitting type block to do that ?

Or better still, a catenary path (as in hyperbolic cosine)... so they have a true gravity-dependent path.

The points may be anywhere on the front panel...not just on the same axis.

Thanks for any suggestions.

===============================================================

Take a look at DATEx, FOTEx, HELEx & SIGEx add-in trainer boards for NI ELVIS 1,2 & 2+ and DXIQ, ESSB for NI ELVIS III and myDSP for myDAQ to learn Wireless Telecoms, Signals & Systems, Fiber Optics and Green Energy principles (www.emona-tims.com)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,017 Views)

How about using a formual node?  cosh is supported.

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,005 Views)

Here is an example of fitting to a catenary, of course my point there was that the cables of a suspension bridge follow a parabolic curve and not a catenary, but the fit is there.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/VI-of-the-Day-10-7-2009-Nonlinear-Curve-Fit-VI/m-p/998262

Message 3 of 7
(2,985 Views)

Thanks Darin,

This is a great example.

I need to try that curve fitting block out myself.

How are the fit parameters passed to the XY graph....Are they used to create a polynomial which is then graphed ?

Could you highlight how that happens ?

Regards,

carloman

Take a look at DATEx, FOTEx, HELEx & SIGEx add-in trainer boards for NI ELVIS 1,2 & 2+ and DXIQ, ESSB for NI ELVIS III and myDSP for myDAQ to learn Wireless Telecoms, Signals & Systems, Fiber Optics and Green Energy principles (www.emona-tims.com)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,965 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author carloman

After the fit is performed, the parameters are passed to a Call By Reference Node which is connected to a reference of the VI which calculates the catenary curve (same one used for the fit).  The x points are generated by the Ramp VI with start and stop values determined by the max and min of the clicked points.  This way you get a smooth curve even with three data points.  This curve is then sent to the XY graph which is updated in the Timeout case of the event structure.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,960 Views)

Ah ha...so thats how it done.

Thanks, I get it. Very nice.

I will be able to adapt that for my own needs.

I would like my catenaries to hang more like a chain...not to have such a flat mid region.

Can you refer me to some info on what parameters to change to implement this ?

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,950 Views)

c1 is related to curvature, c2 is the vertex location, c3 is a constant offset.  You can create a termination control or constant for the LM VI, set the max iterations to 1 and it will output the curve corresponding to the initial guess.  Change the initial guesses to find the shape you like.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,945 Views)