LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

don't show license warning again

Logging on to a certain machine and starting LabVIEW for all users but myself pops up a warning that the XXX Development Module license is expired (or not available) as the license for that module, on a Volume License Manager (also running on that same machine), is name locked to my login.  Labview license for those users is available and thus they can start LabVIEW. after clicking through a couple of buttons.

On that warning popup there is a checkbox that states "don't show this warning again" or something of the sort.  If before dismissing the warning popup the users tick that box, they can start LabVIEW, then exit LabVIEW, then start LabVIEW again and the warning doesn't popup, that is, until the user logs off, logs back in, and starts LabVIEW.

Thus the questions are:

- can one make the state of "don't show this warning again" survive the session?

- if not, can one tick something before starting LabVIEW so it doesn't show?

- where is the state stored as it doesn't seem to be in LabVIEW.ini (didn't check the registry yet, that's my next try)

We have a couple of build scripts that invoke LabVIEW automatically, and the warning popup doesn't show when we run those scripts, which then look like they are stuck.

The users know that they have to run through the initial checking of the box, which in itself is already annoying, but when they forget, in case they haven't gone through the process in a while, they get confused, and thus I'd like to set that state in the script.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,834 Views)

Hi instrumento, 

Can you give me a little bit more information?  What do you mean by "XXX Development Module"?  How is your Volume License Manager involved?

Regards,
Kelly B.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,782 Views)

XXX Development Module is ANY add-on to LabVIEW that needs a separate license. In my case it is the Vision Development Module, but it could be any other one. My VLM has 9 licenses for LabVIEW Full, name locked to each of 9 named users, and 1 license for Vision named locked to myself.

The VIsion module is installed in two machines, my own, and a build machine. When other users run LV on their machines everything is fine, as they don't have it installed, when they go to the build machine, they are faced with the dialog. I called in support and as a workaround was told to make the Vision license private to a group which just includes myself, which seems to work, but I'd still like to k now where the info is stored when one checks the "don't show this again"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,747 Views)

Hi instrumento, 

There are two locations I am aware of in LabVIEW.ini that may be what you are looking for.  The neverShowLicensingStartupDialog token can be marked as true, at which point the batch licensing startup dialog will never be shown.  Additionally, the neverShowAddonLicensingStartup token controls the add-on licensing startup dialog.  When it is marked as true, the dialog will not be shown regardless of the state of any third party add-on licenses. 

I would try changing the neverShowLicensingStartupDialog first, since your problem is with the Vision Development Module.  The token for addons may be useful if you experience this problem in the future with any third-party addons to LabVIEW.

Regards,
Kelly B.

National Instruments
Message 4 of 8
(3,676 Views)

@The_red_baroness wrote:

There are two locations I am aware of in LabVIEW.ini that may be what you are looking for.  The neverShowLicensingStartupDialog token can be marked as true, at which point the batch licensing startup dialog will never be shown.  Additionally, the neverShowAddonLicensingStartup token controls the add-on licensing startup dialog.  When it is marked as true, the dialog will not be shown regardless of the state of any third party add-on licenses. 

Is this the LabVIEW.ini that sits in the same directory as LabVIEW.exe, i.e. c:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012, for my 64 bit LabVIEW 2012 SP1?

If so, that LabVIEW.ini doesn't contain a single key with the word "licensing" or "license" in it.  Is there an official document for that lists those?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,664 Views)

instrumento, 

I apologize, it appears that I may have been mistaken about those tokens.  The ini file you were looking at is the correct one.  I did some research here at NI, and it turns out that we do not make a list of the LabVIEW.ini settings publicly available.  There is a list online that is maintained by some LabVIEW developers, but it is not an official list nor is it maintained by NI.

http://labview.brianrenken.com/INI/

I'm sorry I'm not able to provide more information.

Regards,
Kelly B.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,633 Views)

@The_red_baroness wrote:

I apologize, it appears that I may have been mistaken about those tokens.  The ini file you were looking at is the correct one.  I did some research here at NI, and it turns out that we do not make a list of the LabVIEW.ini settings publicly available.  There is a list online that is maintained by some LabVIEW developers, but it is not an official list nor is it maintained by NI.

http://labview.brianrenken.com/INI/

I'm sorry I'm not able to provide more information.

Actually those tokens do seem to work and someone should probably add them to that and other external lists, but why NI prefers to have potentially wrong information laying around the Internet, instead of an official version for each version, is a bit puzzling. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,514 Views)

If I had to guess, it'd have to do with keeping inner workings private.  Most software companies don't reveal everything about their software.  They can't control what others post.  That doesn't mean they should post their internal information to combat the other page.  If that was common practice, you could easily get algorithms from companies simply by posting incorrect versions.

Some things just aren't meant to be used by the "public."

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,499 Views)