cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

docx document generation without MS Office

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if is it possible to generate a .docx document, or modify a docx/docm without having MS Office installed.

Does exist a pure G lang library which create docx documents?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,871 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author aethon

.docx is a pretty complicated XML-based file format, I very much doubt that there's a native LabVIEW implementation for it anywhere. You may be able to do some simple find/replace on strings inside the XML or try to use xml parsing tools to find/replace what you need - try opening it up with something like Notepad and see what you can do.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,861 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author aethon

Just to clarify Sam's response (for those that don't know), if you rename the .docx file to .zip, you can open it up and see all of the XML files that are used to create a document.  Good luck trying to create one of these from scratch. Smiley Wink

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,834 Views)

@aethon wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if is it possible to generate a .docx document, or modify a docx/docm without having MS Office installed.

Does exist a pure G lang library which create docx documents?

Thanks.

Certainly you CAN, the ECMA-376, ISO/IEC 29500 standard is an open format.  How many developer hours do you have available to implement this and are they cheaper than the MS Sowftware licenses you need?

(Hint:) only if you need about 10,000 licenses and have a few years to wait)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,812 Views)

Depending on your version of LabVIEW you may have the Report Generation Toolkit which can create and modify .docx files

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,795 Views)
I'm using LV2013.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,784 Views)

@BartC wrote:

Depending on your version of LabVIEW you may have the Report Generation Toolkit which can create and modify .docx files

If I am not mistaken, those VI's don't work unless you have Word or Excel installed.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,772 Views)

Sorry, misspoke, your license type.  Professional, Debug, Educational, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,770 Views)

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375405a.html

In addition to the system requirements for the LabVIEW Development System, the 32-bit version of Report Generation Toolkit for Microsoft Office has the following requirements:

• Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later (32-bit)
  • Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit)
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
  • Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • LabVIEW 2015 Base, Full, or Professional Development System (32-bit)
  • At least 40 MB of disk space
  • Microsoft Office 2013/2010/2007/2003/XP (32-bit) (Microsoft Office 2013 is also included in Microsoft Office 365)

Note:  You must have both Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel installed before installing the Report Generation Toolkit.
aputman
------------------
Message 9 of 13
(3,763 Views)
Professional.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,762 Views)