LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dll wont work with win7 but works with xp

Have a vi that communicates to a spectrometer.  There's a dll file used.  Theres an issue when i try to run on a 64bit machine using win7.  One of 2 xp systems work the other xp resembles the win7 system. 

Thought it was just a 32bit vs 64bit issue but thats not the case.  Have validated all machines running in administrator mode.

Upon start the vi goes out to establish communication by initializing the spectrometer.  Once initialized a return number of 1 should be received but I get a 9 digit number.  The manufacture of the spectrometer doesn't have any idea.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,003 Views)
  • Have you tried 32bit windows 7 (it is not clear from your post. For example, traditional DAQ does not work on a 64bit OS)
  • How does it communicate with the spectrometer (serial, GPIB, ethernet, smoke signals, etc.)
  • Does it try to write to any system locations in the file system?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,980 Views)
Haven't tried win7 32bit yet.
It's a USB connection.
How do I know if it does?

It's a Stellarnet spectrometer....

Thank you....
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,950 Views)

@dg_dog66 wrote:
Haven't tried win7 32bit yet.
It's a USB connection.
How do I know if it does?

It's a Stellarnet spectrometer....

Thank you....

If it can use their SpectraWiz software, they have a LabVIEW implementation.  Perhaps you can learn something from taking a peek under the hood?  Or maybe use the software outright?

One more thought: The 9-digit number doesn't represent the value "1" somehow, does it?  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,924 Views)
Thanks. But why would one xp system work and not the other...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,898 Views)

@dg_dog66 wrote:

It could be a lot of different things.  There must have been something else to make you think it was a dll issue, because that's the last thing I would suspect given the only thing we know went wrong.  (That it spits out a 9-digit number.)  I would expect that it would hang LabVIEW or return some kind of error.  Maybe the number is an error code?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,886 Views)

@dg_dog66 wrote:

You've given almost no information for us to go with here.

One XP could be 32-bit while the other 64-bit.  Different service packs implement different things.  You might be missing other required drivers.

The maker of the device provides the dll and you've been in contact with them.  Do they have their own utility that calls this dll?  Does their utility provide similar or different results to what you're seeing now?  Is the nine digit number always the same or does it vary?  If it's always the same, have you asked them what the specific number means as it might be an error?

You say you've validated the systems.  How have you done so? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,857 Views)
Yeah, I'd be talking to the manufacturer about this - ask them if they have a software utility (doesn't necessarily have to be LabVIEW) that uses the same DLL and try that on the machines the don't work - if it works, then it's more likely to be a LabVIEW problem, if it doesn't - then there's something wrong with the DLL/drivers/OS.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,825 Views)