LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable scrolling news in getting started window

I understand you are trying to be helpful so I looked at my LabVIEW.ini file.  The entry does say "autoToolOn=False.  When I open a VI in LabVIEW and View - Tools Palette, it is AutotTool is on.

Seriously, that setting enables you to LOCK autotool but does not automatically UNLOCK autotool.

No more, please.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(337 Views)

Nothing will prevent the autotool from autotooling when you turn on autotool from the tools palette period.  This completely overrides your options preference (which sets the initial state of autotool during launch)  

It sounds like your in the habit of having the tools palette open all the time.  Save yorself from this by keeping it closed and use Shift+Right-Click to pop-up the tools palette next to your mouse on the rare instances that you need a tool you can't easilly tab or space into.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(327 Views)

wildcatherder wrote:

Seriously, that setting enables you to LOCK autotool but does not automatically UNLOCK autotool.

Uh, if you look at the help, it quite clearly states that the lock option prevents the tab key from switching you out of the the autotool, not that it has anything to do with whether you're in autotool mode or not. As far as I could tell, switching the autotool off and exiting LV did add the requireAutoTool=False key mentioned earlier, which I guess is the one that actually controls this.

FWIW, I have heard some veteran users who were quite unhappy with the autotool and then after using it for a week or two it clicked for them and they said "oh, this is much better". Can't say I remember anyone describing it as creepy, though.

In summary, some options:

1. Learn to use the autotool. It's what most LV users do, if only because it's the default, and so there is some advantage to being used to it.
  2. Use tab and ctrl+tab to switch between tools.
  3. Use Shift+Right click to open the tools palette where the cursor is.
  4. Turn the autotool off and exit LV.
  5. Add the INI key to the file yourself.

(302 Views)