cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable VI server in EXE

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

Is there a way to permanently disable VI server in EXE? Currently, I have an EXE built using application builder and in the ini I can set the VI server to TRUE and the assign the port number to listen on. This poses a great security threat to my application as anyone using my app can enable VI server and basically hack it using property/invoke nodes - like assign values to controls or retrieve indicator's values.

Ritesh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,945 Views)
So, you are worried about someone that can do the same things as an operator?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,931 Views)

Yes, I am worried someone with good LabVIEW knowledge could use these techniques to hack my application.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,906 Views)
How would that be hacking your application? Your code is still hidden. Your allocation can be manually controlled and read. How is that less of a hack?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,893 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
How would that be hacking your application? Your code is still hidden. Your allocation can be manually controlled and read. How is that less of a hack?

I have few global vairbales in my application which stores the information whether the app is in demo mode or in full featured mode. If the user can somehow get to know where those globals are stored in the EXE and the usage of those globals and set their value using VI server then he/she can easily convert a demo app into full featured app.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,886 Views)

That's why you should use the Third-Party Licensing and Activation Toolkit

Don't do your own scheme!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,882 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

That's why you should use the Third-Party Licensing and Activation Toolkit

Don't do your own scheme!

Does it mean that the bottom line is VI Server can not be disabled in EXE?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,877 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LVCoder
It means that if you want something robust, use the appropriate tool. I'm not convinced that you can get to a shared variable with VI Server but if you've tried and done it, change your protection scheme.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,872 Views)