Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

differece between NI PCI 6514 and NI PCI 6515

Could anyone please tell me what 

"Input current flow: sinking, sourcing

Output current flow: sinking"

Means???

I am very very much confused about this.

Thanks in advance. 

Regards
Grugh Mike

Success is Everything !!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,385 Views)

Sourcing vs. sinking deals with the direction of current flow and whether the load is upstream or downstream from the DAQ device.

Look at pages 4-6. and 4-10 of the manual for wiring diagrams.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,382 Views)

Dear raven

I went through the wiring circuit, but not get much from it.

What does upstream and downstream mean?

Regards
Grugh Mike

Success is Everything !!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,374 Views)

Direction of current flow and what part of the circuit comes first.

In a sourcing application, the power supply provides the power to the DAQ module first, which controls the the output that goes to the load.  The other side of the load goes back to ground to complete the circuit.  So the DAQ module is upstream of the load.

In a sinking application, the current goes from power supply to the load,  then the load to DAQ module.  The DAQ module then controls whether the current goes to ground or not to complete the circuit.  Here the DAQ module is downstream from the load.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,370 Views)

Thank you Raven for the reply.

So for a simple DAQ that takes in Proximity sensor input and outputs signal to actuators like solenoids, motors etc.

What kind of DAQ is suitable fo this kind of job?

Please reply.

Regards
Grugh Mike

Success is Everything !!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,364 Views)

I don't know.  You'll have to look at the wiring diagram for whatever sensors you are using.

For me, a sourcing type output is the more intuitive wiring diagram because as an analog output, you are providing the power to the device (i.e. sourcing.)  But a lot of electronic transistor circuits work on a "sinking" principle.  The type of transistors they use would determine sourcing vs. sinking.  You may have a device where it doesn't matter whether it is a sourcing or sinking output as long as you wire it correctly according to the DAQ module.

If you aren't sure what type of DAQ module to get, you need to find someone who is familiar with your application.  Read the manual for the sensors and contact the manufacturer if you still have questions.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,361 Views)

So in this case if i am using a product:

FESTO SMT-8-NS-K-LED-24-B as the proximity sensor.

And CPE10-M1bH-3GL-MS as the solenoid valve.

What would you suggest.

Regards
Grugh Mike

Success is Everything !!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,359 Views)

For the digital inputs for the proximity sensor, it looks like it just uses a reed switch of some sort.  You should be able to wire that up anyway you want.

The valve appears to be a solenoid coil, you should be able to use either a sourcing or a sinking digital output.  If it was me, I'd use a sourcing output because it is more logical.  You may want to put a diode in reverse across the solenoid coil.  This should help prevent damage to the digital output in the event of electromagnetic surges.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,334 Views)