LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

determine position from accelerometer data

A rookie here who has never used LabVIEW.

I'm aware of all the difficulties of calculating position from acceleration data, but my situation is very tightly controlled and has frequent zero resets, so I want to focus on how LabVIEW can be used to tackle this problem.

Take accelerometer data and determine the position of the object to which the accelerometer is attached over time.  The accelerometer moves in one linear dimension only.  I have an LVDT to which to compare it to determine the validity of the method.  The object stops moving and returns to its initial position frequently, at which time I can zero out the position and start the estimation over.

How do I use LabVIEW to do this; what are the main functions/operations that I use?  I'm trying to determine if LabVIEW is the right product to solve this problem. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,872 Views)

You should be able to just take a double integral of the accelerometer data. Use "convert from dynamic data" VI to convert waveform into an array, then use integral function twice.

Just a little warning: if you are using AC coupled accelerometer, you should not expect to get accurate position. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,852 Views)