LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deployed application starts only once?

Hello, 

I couldn't find an answer to this so I'm posting it. If it was posted, please suggest that post to me.

I've developed an application using Labview 2014 and the DSC toolkit. I am looking to test the distribution on a deployment computer. I have the runtime and everything set up.

Here's my dilemma:

I have a startup vi that will call another VI (the application has been developed for 2 monitors). It will work perfectly the first time I install the distribution I have created, but will hang the second, third, nth time. It will hand for hours on end. I even left it overnight and it didn't start. 

Did this happen to any of you?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,515 Views)

Have any code you can share?  It is sounding like the second VI was not fully closed out and therefore could not be called again.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,503 Views)

I can't really share the code, but I use a global variable which i set with the press of a button. It's set in the first vi, and the second monitor vi reads it and then closes. Is that what you mean?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,492 Views)

Since I'm not at that computer. I forgot to mention, I am sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,470 Views)

I had a dialog VI that would hang only on the 2nd call to it.  Turns out, I was creating user events and wasn't destroying them when the dialog closed.  Maybe this is your issue.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,441 Views)

I think Crossrulz is right (he/she usually is ...).  I've written a number of routines that called/ran other VIs, and if one failed to shut down, it could be tricky to find the culprit (sometimes the best cure was a Reboot).

Look at the "Startup VI", and look at any/all "children" that they run.  Do you have a way of ensuring that all of them are shut down properly, even if there is an error condition somewhere (even in the Shutdown routine)?

When you call a routine a "Startup" routine, do you mean that the code gets run automatically when the computer is turned on?  If so, a "safe" way to ensure things start up appropriately is to do what NI does (sometimes) in Real-Time -- (programmatically) reboot the computer.  [I don't know, off the top of my head, how to get Windows to reboot, but I'm pretty sure a Web search will turn something up].

Good luck.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,428 Views)