From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database tools labview 2015 don%27t work on 64-bit windows 10

Hello.  My LabVIEW 2015 64-bit applications (which include database tool calls)  won't load without errors on Windows 10 64-bit.  The NI compatibility guide shows that the database tools are not supported.  Does NI have a plan to address this at some point?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(4,006 Views)

Probably eventually.

But why are you using 64-bit LabVIEW?  Use 32 bit LabVIEW for full support.  Unless you have some very special application that requires lots of memory and has any toolkits you might need available for it in 64-bit such as vision.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(4,001 Views)

NI probably should consider making things work on 64-bit.  The government is mandating a switch to Windows 10 next year, and my DoD customers will not be happy backsliding to 32-bit, if I even could manage it given the data requirements.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,991 Views)

I found this out the hard way last year when trying to interface my application with a database. Regardless of how adequate 32bit is for most things, it's 2016 and NI needs to bring all their products into this decade.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,979 Views)

@Biff_Whiffle wrote:

NI probably should consider making things work on 64-bit.  The government is mandating a switch to Windows 10 next year, and my DoD customers will not be happy backsliding to 32-bit, if I even could manage it given the data requirements.

I agree, and that needs to be done by whenever Microsoft comes out with an OS that can't run 32-bit applications.

But mandating a switch to Windows 10 has nothing to do with 64 bit vs. 32 bit.  Windows 10 32 bit exists so LabVIEW 32 bit will of course run on that.

And Windows 10 64 bit is still capable of running 32 bit applications, so LV 32-bit will run there also.

So have as of right now and as of next year, you still don't have any problems using LV 32-bit.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,973 Views)

Again, 32-bit LV isn't helpful.  Our applications use a lot of memory and we had to make the move to 64-bit some time ago.

Hopefully NI will have this addressed before the mandated migration to Windows 10...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,968 Views)

Just a shameless plug: You could also consider this, which has been verfied to run under 64 Bit LabVIEW.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 17
(3,949 Views)

Almost all of us are running LabVIEW on 64-bit Windows, and have been doing so for most of a decade (ever since 64-bit processors and 64-bit Windows became "common").  Today, I would venture to guess that almost all of us run LabVIEW 32-bit on our Windows x64 PCs, as we don't have need of the humongous memory space (nor have the humongous memory) that necessitates 64-bit software.

All (I think) of NI's tools and features run on 64-bit PCs running 64-bit Windows, but 32-bit LabVIEW.  Not all of the tools and features have been migrated to run "native" in 64-bit LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,932 Views)

Bob, that's the issue. Why would all the tools not be on the arguably more prevalent and popular architecture?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,917 Views)

Same reason that most of the other software that exists is still 32-bit.

Check Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories on your PC.  I bet most of your applications are still 32 bit.

Is 64-bit truly more popular and prevalent?  I'd say 64-bit Windows has become more common for new PC's coming out in the last few years.  But you still have a large installed based of 32-bit OS's out there.  And there is still a need to support that as well, so I would not say 64-bit windows is more prevalent, at least not yet.

At some point in time, MS will announce that they will no longer provide a 32-bit version of Windows, and will probably give at least a 2-3 year advance notice of it.  Will that be Windows 11?  (I doubt it.)  Maybe Windows 12.  When that announcement finally comes, then NI and numerous other software vendors out there will be accelerating their development to make sure they have fully supported 64-bit versions of their software ready in time for whatever 64-bit only version of Windows that is.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,912 Views)