LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database for configuration

I am developing a test software that requires different test depending on the part number. Since the test itself is identical just variables such as voltage change I think the best approach would be a data base.
Is this the best method?
Does anyone have an example of interfacing with FoxPro?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,398 Views)
Using a database is not the easiest way. A very easy way to configure an application is to use the FunctionPalette/FileIO/Configuration files.

They can read and write a textfile. You can feed in values like numbers, strings, paths etc. The big advantage is, that you can edit these files with a text editor by hand.

Check it out !
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,398 Views)
This would definitely be the easiest way to configure an application. The Configuration VIs allow you to access keys and sections much like reading through any .ini file. Depending on your application, you can define different sections for each case, and then read the proper section keys in accordingly. There are examples that come shipped with LabVIEW that show you how to write and read configuration settings files. Just search for 'Configuration' in the Example finder, and you should get back a couple of examples.

Jeremy L.
National Instruments
Jeremy L.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,398 Views)
Not long ago I had the same decision to make. Now I'm not using configuration files but datalog files. I didn't want anybody to be able to read the files with a text editor and I didn't want to read and write every single contorl on the front panel. Using the datalog file I created a Cluster of Array of Clusters and I'm saving this main Cluster to the file. If something changes I read out the Cluster do the changes in the according position of the Array (which is the cluster with controls). Finished with this I replace the old file with the new one. The Replacing was necessary because it is not possible to writ to a certain position of a datalog file. For me that is ok. Maybe you want to check out :this thread
There are examples for configuration Files pros adn cons for datalog files.
hope this helps
ANDY
p.s: on my research I found some OpenG functions that might be useful for you :OpenG Thread
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,398 Views)