LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data acquisition CAN bus

Addition to last message:

In your first post there is no wait function in your loop - it runs as fast as it can. Why do you want to burn even more CPU power by adding a small delay in it?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(912 Views)

@Trainee123 wrote:

Actually is there a way to loop the while loop faster than 1ms, like 50us? I don't have labview real time module so is there an alternative way to do so?

Sure you can run a loop as fast as the CPU will allow.  Of course then you are in software timing and as Gerdw said you will not have consistent results.  This is a problem with ALL software that isn't hardware timed.  As I said before the problem is with your hardware, and patching software is not the right solution.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(902 Views)

Thank you GerdW and Hooovahh. Actually, the CAN bus interface that I used is able to transmit a CAN frame every 0.1ms. This has been proven when I used the software provided by the same company that enables me to monitor the CAN frame in the CAN bus.

But when I tried to poll the CAN Read function in labview, the fastest I can get without losing any data is 1ms(by placing a 1ms wait function in the while loop). 

When I put 0.5ms in the wait function in the while loop, when I look at the CAN frame data acquired in the text file later, I saw that there data acquired at the beginning and then there are data lost in the middle, and the data reappeared and this continue alternatively. 

Is there a way to bypass this jitter problem in windows?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(887 Views)

Hi Trainee,

No.

When I put 0.5ms in the wait function in the while loop

Which wait function are you talking about? The ones coming with LabVIEW don't support fractions of milliseconds…

But when I tried to poll the CAN Read function in labview, the fastest I can get without losing any data

With NI hardware you get a message buffer for each CAN port. It buffers messages and you can read them in blocks or just the current state for each ArbID…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(885 Views)

@Trainee123 wrote:

Use a deterministic operating system?  Or use timing based on some other hardware.  As mentioned before, other manufactures of hardware have an internal buffer which hold the messages that come in, and can return them all at once.  I've never heard of a piece of CAN hardware that doesn't have a buffer like this.  Heck the raw transceiver usually has at least two bins for messages.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(873 Views)