cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating new file using report generation express vi

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

In my application, I need to write certain data in excel sheet. For that I created an excel template and I used the express vi in report generation toolkit to save the appropriate data in appropritate columns. I need a new file created everyday by that day's name and write the data to it rest of the day. I am having problems creating new file using this express vi. I tried using the low level vi's but not been able to it properly.

Attaching my code and excel template.

Please help.

Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,032 Views)

Personally I would log to a comma or tab delimited (.CSV) file using "Write to Spreadsheet File.vi". It is simple to use and easy to append data. If an Excel file is required, you could read the previous day's CSV file and populate your Excel template. The CSV can then be deleted by you LabVIEW app.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,015 Views)

Saving in excel is one of the requirements

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,007 Views)

You need to supply a file to the Express VI to tell it where to save the file.  Also check the "Configure to Save File Options" button in the Express VI's configuration dialog.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,000 Views)

The thing is everyday there cannot be a file provided. I want the program to create a new file everyday. In my program I have already given the path where to create it. Is there any way I can get the program to create it?

And I did check those options, but there is no option to create a file if it doesnt exist

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,992 Views)

@r_te wrote:

The thing is everyday there cannot be a file provided.

Sure there can.  Don't you see the input on the Express VI for a file? "Path To Save Report" is the name of the input you want.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,984 Views)

I am giving it a path input, it gives me an error saying file doesnt exit or have been moved.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,964 Views)

Anyone??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,938 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author r_te

I suspect your problem is illegal characters ("/") in your file path, certainly that is the case in your original vi. You need to format your path, something like this (underscore instead of forward slash):

path.png

CLA CTAChampionI'm attending the GLA Summit!
Subscribe to the Test Automation user group: UK Test Automation Group
Message 9 of 10
(2,924 Views)

yeah finally got the hang of it. But now new problem. I cannot apeend data to it. It just overwrites

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,922 Views)