LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create a stream video of entire front panel as it executes

I am using LabVIEW 2010 Professional Development System on a Windows XP system.

I have developed LabVIEW VIs to collect data from multiple spectrum analyzers and display that data on my main panel so that the operators can monitor multiple systems to verify that the systems are functioning correctly. I have added the capability to store all of the data that I am capturing for later playback. I just finished the playback module so that they could go back to older data to look to determine if a problem existed at that earlier date per a request by their customer.

Now I have been asked if there is a way to stream the entire front panel to a file, as the data is being played back, so that they could potentially send a video clip of the playback to their customer of what the systems looked like when the problem occurred.

Any thoughts or recommendations on how this might be accomplished, if at all. I could upgrade to Windows 7 if that would make a difference.

As the title indicated, I need to create a stream video of entire front panel as it executes, not parts of it since the front panel contains playback of multiple systems at the same time.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,468 Views)

Snagit. You can capture screen video to file.You can even select the region of the screen you want to record. Really easy. Really customizable. You can set frame rate and all kinds of stuff. I think it would be the quickest easiest option... but you better have a big hard drive no matter what video capturing you choose.

http://download.cnet.com/Snagit/3000-2192_4-10004813.html

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
Message 2 of 6
(2,461 Views)

Thank you for your fast response and help. I'll pass this on to my user.

Many KUDOS for you my friend.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,451 Views)

@wild Bill wrote:

Thank you for your fast response and help. I'll pass this on to my user.

Many KUDOS for you my friend.

You can say "many KUDOS", but what is more effective is to actually give a Kudo by clicking on the kudo star next to that user's reply.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
(2,432 Views)

I really like Jing which is limited to 10 minutes. You can get a pro version that doesn't have this issue for a low price ($10 per year or something).

If you want to broadcast live you could try Skype with the 'share desktop' feature.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 5 of 6
(2,417 Views)

That shows how often I use this forum. Thank you for pointing out how to do the kudos thing. I will now make use of that since you have taught me something new. I gave a kudos to you also.

For anyone that is interested in this in the future:

I did try the trial version of  snagit   as well as the ones that I will mention in this posting. While this may work well for some applications, I found that due to a lot of the graphics using X-Controls and other images to make my front panel look nice for the user, snagit could not capture all of the detail. I then searched for "Screen Capture Software" on the internet after seeing that is what snagit called itself. I did not evaluate any of these to determine how many features, easy of use, etc. they had. I only captured some video and played it back. I only found one that worked really well. I might mention that my waveform graphs update at a rate of 300ms. So things are constantly changing on the screen.

Did not capture video in enough detail based on my application:

debut

fullshot

hypersnap

myscreenrecorder

snagit

The only of these that I tried that did a really good job was

camtasia

I am not promoting this product over any other. I am only mentioning this to let anyone looking for information in the future that there are more options. Some of those that did not work well for my situation may work well for yours.

I have not tried jing so I can not comment on that product.

Thank you for your help and for anyone that will post a superior product in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,401 Views)