From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cpu usage while loop

Solved!
Go to solution

7zip is not  the standard that a regular .zip file is.  It might want to be, but most people don't have the means to unzip it.

As for your VI's, all 3 seem to behave about the same for me.  Which one should I be looking at and how should I be using it in order to see the problem you are trying to describe?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,980 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Labuser16383
  • Why are all your diagram maximized to the screen? That makes it diffficult to compare them side-by-side and is very annoying.
  • Why is there no event for the stop button? Once you have that, there is no need for the timeout event or wait at all. The loop will only spin when needed.
  • Your problem is also that you define a timeout for "dequeue", since nothing needs to be done when nothing is in the queue, you should leave that at -1. No need for waits to slow down the consumer loop if it only spins on demand.
  • Why don't you use a shift register or feedback node to increment the click counter?
  • Why are the queue wires in shift registers? More typical are regular tunnels. Don't complicate things!

@Labuser16383 wrote:

OK, besides that seven zip is really well known as the standard for PD zip. 

I am not familiar with the term "PD zip". Please use full words to avoide confusion. What does "PD zip" mean? And yes, 7-zip is a very well known program, but 7z is not a very universal format for compressed file archives. You can eaily use 7-zip to create and open regular zip files. Thats' what I do. 😄 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,956 Views)

I'm not really going to get into what is the standard compression format.  It's just convenient because.zip files were natively handled in Windows since Windows XP.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,934 Views)

@billko wrote:

I'm not really going to get into what is the standard compression format.  It's just convenient because.zip files were natively handled in Windows since Windows XP.

I actually use it as an indicator of the intelligence of the computer owner. For example if winzip is installed, I am probably dealing with a moron. 😄

I do have 7-zip installed, because it can do much more (e.g. extract files from an iso image, etc.) and it is free and open source.  The native windows tools also don't seem to use multiple cores and using 7-zip is orders of magnitude faster to compress and uncompress (on my 16 core xeon). However I have run into problems when optimizing the zip output for size. Some of the advanced 7-zip options don't seem to be compatible with native compressed folder tools of windows. Always use the 7-zip default option to create zip files and you should be fine. I never use 7z format.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,926 Views)

Sorry i use an 13" laptop at the moment so that i can try out things when i'm on the way.

In this case maximized windows are the only useful option.

Thank you for the tipps. I see I'm thinking too complicate sometimes. Hope it will become better with more experience.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,892 Views)

@Labuser16383 wrote:

Sorry i use an 13" laptop at the moment so that i can try out things when i'm on the way.

In this case maximized windows are the only useful option.

Thank you for the tipps. I see I'm thinking too complicate sometimes. Hope it will become better with more experience.

One of the best ways to gain experience points is hanging around here - even when you don't have a question.  Poke around n threads you think are interesting.  Ask (relevant) questions even if you didn't start the thread.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,880 Views)

@Labuser16383 wrote:

Size is irrelevant. It's the resolution that matters. 😉  (My 14" laptop is 1920 x 1080 and my eyes are pretty good :o)).

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,857 Views)

the pd zip was possibly refering to a program that started in the DOS days. Pkzip.exe, Pkunzip.exe, etc. This was the best back in the 80's in my opinion. It was window-"ized" at some point, and absorbed into the collective.

You can never have enough useless information. It makes average info look even better!!

😉

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(847 Views)