LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

could not replace "numeric-control" to "string-control" in LV 2013

Hi,

Labview 2013 is different from LV 2012, i cannot replace "numeric-control"  to "string-control".

have anybody an idea about why this happen?

Regards,

SASA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,596 Views)

Hey,

It is possible to replace them.

I guess, according to you previous posts, that something went totally wrong with your Labview installation. Maybe you mixed things up while relinking all you palettes. 

Ever thought about a reinstall of LabVIEw (I know this is a time consuming procedure)?

Regards,

CMW

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,593 Views)

It is highly unlikely this is broken in LabVIEW 2013, it works fine for me, so there must be something specific about your situation. Are you using a particular numeric control? What goes wrong specifically? Does it disallow the replacement? Does it work but leave you with broken code (which I would expect)?

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,575 Views)

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your feedbacks,

please find attached the piece of code i'm working on, it's a serial rs 232 FPGA implementation on sbrio

what i want to change is the type of the "write char", i want to do a loopback to test the data transmission, typically i want to send for exemple "jwas12" and capture it in hyperterminal

Regards,

SASA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,553 Views)

You are referring to the FPGA code.  Strings are not allowed in FPGA.  You can have a fixed size array.  But I would recommend using a DMA FIFO for writing multiple characters to your FPGA that will then be outputted.

Remember that FPGA is not exactly software.  You are defining hardware.  Because of this, you can't have dynamically sized data types.  A string, by definition, is a dynamically sized data type.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,545 Views)

i had used FPGA FIFO to write elements,

you mean i cannot send caracters like "FO12BW" in FPGA to be then outpoutted.? how can i proceed?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,538 Views)

Strings are just an array of bytes (chars in other languages), so you can store your string as an array of U8 bytes in FPGA.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,530 Views)

@SASA1 wrote:

i had used FPGA FIFO to write elements,

you mean i cannot send caracters like "FO12BW" in FPGA to be then outpoutted.? how can i proceed?

Instead of writing values to the FPGA front panel and then placing the values into a FIFO, use a DMA FIFO.  That eliminates unneeded code and will therefore reduce your FPGA usage.  By making a DMA FIFO, you can write to it directly from your RT code.  This will eliminate your bottom two loops in your FPGA.

So change your Write FIFO to a "Host to Target" DMA FIFO.  I would also chance your Read FIFO to a "Target to Host" DMA FIFO.  This way your RT code can write directly to the Write FIFO for values to send out and can directly read the FIFO for data that comes back.

So after all of that, here is what your LVRT Serial Write should look like.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,514 Views)

Thank you very much,

could you please do this if i send to you the code?

i'm a begginer in labview and i need it to work today, it's extremely urgent.

SASA

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,485 Views)

@SASA1 wrote:

Thank you very much,

could you please do this if i send to you the code?

i'm a begginer in labview and i need it to work today, it's extremely urgent.

SASA

Sorry, but no.

1.  You don't pay me enough

2.  I have more than enough work to do from my employer

3.  You wouldn't learn anything that way

Now if you want to setup a project and pay us to do some or all of the work for you, then send me a PM.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,469 Views)