From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert text to coordinate for engraving systems

hi friends, I should develop a program for handling a engraving system(2D) with step motors, we need convert text and digits to (X,Y) coordinate for track points for draw characters with step motors.

how can we convert text to coordinates ? where is start point? 

thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,621 Views)

Does the text contain direct x,y reading? Do you get it in string? are you storing the text? From where do you get the text values? Do you have an array in the text file?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,614 Views)

are you saying need to convert a text string into coordinates along lines that the engraver should follow to "print" that text string onto your engraved media? e.g. convert "A" to a track of coordinates the engraver needs to follow to engrave an "A"?

I would suspect you need to obtain a font file that describes each symbol you are going to convert. That font should preferably be vector based. From that point you need to go sequentially through your text string and create a coordinate track for each symbol in the string (and add spacing). 

PS! remember to embed proper kerning into your routine!

Best regards,

Jarle Ekanger, MSc, PhD, CLD
Flow Design Bureau AS

- "The resistance of wires in LabVIEW is not dependent on their length."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,608 Views)

yes we need vector based fonts.

how can we create it? 

we need a work space that operator enter text and digits and when run engraving we should follow strings with vectors and create coordinates for electronic part.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,587 Views)

I think I should design a new font with vectors. but i don't know how?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,586 Views)

i have no idea, Google it... there must be a syntax for it? you could of course also look into buying a font?

Best regards,

Jarle Ekanger, MSc, PhD, CLD
Flow Design Bureau AS

- "The resistance of wires in LabVIEW is not dependent on their length."
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,583 Views)

I thought this would be fun so attached is a quick way of doing this.  You give it text, and a font size, and it will create an XY pair of where pixels should be on.  Of course before you use this you'll need some kind of way of translating XY coordinates from pixels to inches, and then you need to take into account the tool size being used because you'll want your tool to be the same size as a pixel if you go with this font style otherwise there would be gaps between pixels.

Message 7 of 11
(5,566 Views)

hi hoovahh.

how do you do? 

your sample is nice but not suitable for me! your sample create dots not following. I need follow font like when you write a 'C' character by pen.

we need have coordinates for move 

one way is create vector for each character. I'm thinking about PLT format from corelDRAW software.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,534 Views)

Do you have a way of compensating for tool deflection?

[edit]

Sorry, i was thinking of the project like you were using an end mill, not an engraver, so I have no idea if you need to think about that or not.

[/edit]

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,530 Views)

thanks alot for uploading...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,390 Views)