LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert V to force

Hi all!

Please help me for this problem!

I have been used the joystick including steering wheel, brake and gas pedal for getting braking force from the driver. The data got from brake pedal is Voltage unit, in range of 0-4V. How could I convert it to force unit, e.g. Newton?

Could you answer  me soon? It's so urgent for me. Thank you very much for all helps.

Best regards,
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,541 Views)
Hi Tuong,

Which type of transducer are you using to get this voltage data. Data sheets of the transducer might give you a clue as to the calculation.

Regards,
Pavitra
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,536 Views)
Thanks you for your answer. I used the joystick of Logitech. It uses one variable resistor for changing of the brake spring. So, I took the voltage from 2 pins of this variable resistors. it' s so simple. So I didn't have a range of force to use for conversion. Do you have any suggestion alse? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,528 Views)

Well, you may be able to  assume the force is linear (spring equation F=Kx). With no pressure on the pedal, I am guessing the output is 0V and with full travel of the pedal, 4V.

If you have a force gauge (or scale?) available, use it to press on the pedal until you get 4V out and read the gauge. Caution though, you can only interpolate up to the travel of the pedal, any more and it's probably `non-linear. You can get better accuracy if you plot more than just the force at 4 volts, say 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2....4.

Then just crunch the data to derive an equation to calculate force based on teh voltage read.

May the force be with youwink smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,509 Views)