LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

controls on the side of the Real Matrix what do they do?

When you place a matrix on the Front Panel it comes with a set of two number controls on the left. Clicking on the help option only produces : "Real Matrix  No description available"
I have the student's version.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,626 Views)
They are the row and column of the currently displayed item in the matrix.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,623 Views)
I suppose I should add... It's the same as any other 2D array, but since a matrix is a 2D array inside of a cluster, it seems that it wont let you show more than one item in the array.  If you want, drop an empty Array (from the Array palette) on the front panel, then place any kind of numeric control in your new array. Right click on the array and choose Add Dimension. Now you can resize the array to show multiple controls both horizontally and vertically.

Message Edited by jbutera on 01-24-2007 05:37 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,618 Views)

@jbutera wrote:
They are the row and column of the currently displayed item in the matrix.

More precisely, they are the indices of the element shown in the upper left corner of the indicator display. This is only useful if your matrix is bigger than the displayed portion and you want to scroll.

(I don't understand the talk about a matrix being in a cluster. It isn't unless you explicitely place it inside one. Even then, it would be resizeable to show more than one element. A matrix control/indicator behaves just like any 2D array. A matrix is a native data type since LabVIEW 8.0, I think.)

Message Edited by altenbach on 01-24-2007 05:37 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,617 Views)
Yeah I'm not sure what's up with that.. The Real Matrix control in my Classic palette showed up with a ? icon and, when dropped, placed a Modern-style 2D array in a cluster on the front panel.  Dropping a Real Matrix from the Modern palette did the same.  Smiley Surprised Note the cluster named Real Matrix in my screenshot.  What was even more odd was that I couldn't resize the array.. So I tried to copy the array from the cluster directly to the front panel.  It wouldn't let me do that either.

But now that I look again, dropping a matrix onto the front panel works just fine, and defaults to a 3x3 layout.  A matrix from the Classic palette still drops a modern-style control, but I guess that's just how it goes?

But what was up with it putting it in a cluster?!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,601 Views)
jbutera,

I cannot replicate the behavior that I think you have described. Whenever I place down a matrix from either the Modern or Classic pallet, it behaves exactly as expected. I tested this in LabVIEW version 8.0 as well as 8.2. I was also not able to locate any known issues with the matrix control as you have described.

I am interested that this seems to have corrected itself on your machine when you tried placing the matrix control a second time. If you can determine when the matrix gets placed as a cluster as you have described, please post back so that we can investigate the cause of this strange behavior. Thank you very much for your time.

Mike D.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,582 Views)