LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to labview over TCP/IP port

I have got an undocumented project to maintain, it has a Java UI code, which connects with some component of LABVIEW over

TCP/IP Port = 1234

and over this port it sends commands for clear, get, set

I need links for understanding the component from LABVIEW which is been accessed over port 1234

I have installed LABVIEW Run time 2013, and do not know which PROCESS the Java code is trying to connect over TCP/IP, and I do not see any of the RT processes binding to port 1234.

Any pointers/links would certainly help me!

Thanks,

-Vikrant

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,356 Views)

Can you define what you mean by "component of LabVIEW"?

The LabVIEW runtime engine is just a required component to run any custom build LabVIEW executable or dll. So, what is it?

You also mention RT processes. Does this run on an RT system? What is running where? If you are connecting to a remove LabVIEW RT system that runs a service on port 1234, you don't need LabVIEW or a run time engine at all on the local side.

At this time we don't have any useful information from you. Please be significantly more detailed! Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,333 Views)

Component in sense, I ran the setup.exe for LABVIEW-64-bit 2013.

It has installed datasocket but I do not see the service running over the TCP IP port

It has installed

NI Application Web Server
   NI Citadel 4 Service
   NI Configuration Manager
   NI Domain Service
   NI mDNS Responder Service
   NI PSP Service Locator
   NI Service Locator
   NI System Web Server
   NI Time Synchronization
   NI Variable Engine

I do not know which service correlates which purpose and which service is suppose to talk with our Java program over TCP socket.

RT I mean labview run time .

I am not sure where the 1234 port no. is configured in labview run time configuration.

request for more information that I need to put up on this group to help myself understand the system.

Is there a pdf on bundled components, configuraton for labview run time?

Thanks

-Vikrant

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,320 Views)
You still don't make any sense to me. Your java program would be communicating to some LabVIEW exe and not directly to the runtime engine. The description of what you need would be part of the exe that you have not mentioned at all. Senseless to install the runtime without the actual program that the java app is talking too. Senseless to look at network traffic unless both the java app and the LabVIEW app are both installed and running. Pretty senseless not to look at the LabVIEW code, for that matter.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,310 Views)

Do you have the LabVIEW code?  Especially, do you have some LabVIEW VIs that communicate with your JAVA code?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,298 Views)

Oops, I hit "Post" when I was searching for another key.  What can you tell us about the LabVIEW application/component your UI is trying to access?  If it is something simple (like "Get me 1000 points from a USB-6009 device"), then maybe we can help you develop this code.  If you have existing code and can show it to us, we can suggest how to activate the TCP/IP "hooks".

BS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,297 Views)

Please find copy pasted Java code in the attached file.

I did not find anything like USB-6009, but I know that the end intrumentation device is connected over USB port to the PC, there is an installable file CONF-6009OEM2.NCE

The user is expected to install NIDAQ980f0.exe before installing the Java application.

Thanks BS & all.

-Vikrant

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,283 Views)

Could you please point a configuration pattern (like design pattern) where there is a USB connected simple device, then some VI related program, then a TCP IP service talking to it and then some XYZ client app talking to the TCP IP.

Once I understand such an existing pattern, I will possibly investigate the matter faster.

thanks,

-Vikrant

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,271 Views)
Help> Find Examples.

There are numerous ways to talk to a LabVIEW with tcp/ip. The nce and daq driver are only relevant to the LabVIEW program if one truly exists. You still have not provided any information on it. Are you just guessing that the java app does connect to a LabVIEW program? How can you know what version of DAQmx to install but know nothing about this hypothetical LabVIEW program.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,251 Views)

I will wait for any inputs from BS and meanwhile go through the examples, before commenting again.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,242 Views)