From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting labview with oracle database

Hello,

I am trying to connect labview(database connectivity tool) with oracle database, the problem is that when I am using UDL connection, the open connection function  doesnt't give error, even the test connection is successful , but when I try to use other function, labview is giving error saying that ODBC driver is expired. I have attached the print screen with this message.

When I installed the driver from datadirect.com, still the error is comming.

Please if anyone can give a step by step procedure to connect and excchange data between oracle database it will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Sachin.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,036 Views)

Why are you using an ODBC driver from datadirect? You should get the Oracle Provider for OLE DB. The database connectvity Toolkit works on ADO/DAO level which the OLE DB driver is a direct driver too. It also can interface to ODBC drivers through a an OLE to ODBC bridge from Microsoft but the only reason to use an ODBC driver with the Database Toolkit would be if there is no OLE DB driver for your database.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,002 Views)
rolf is correct. You can get the oledb drivers that you need for free from the Oracle website. What version of Oracle are you using?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,979 Views)

Thank you for the reply.

Can we connect labview with oracle database without database connectiviyt toolkit ?

I am using oracle database 10g express edition.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,947 Views)
Of course you can. Mike has posted drivers at http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Extracting-one-column-from-Database/m-p/547276#M257531. Another set of free drivers is LabSQL: http://jeffreytravis.com/lost/labsql.html.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,935 Views)

The DCT is not needed (thanks for providing the link Dennis). The discussion at the link is good, and the drivers are linked on the last page -- compiled in LV2012.

BTW, the LabSQL link seems to be bad.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,915 Views)
The LabSQL link just has an extra period at the end.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,900 Views)
The LabSQL link just has an extra period at the end.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,898 Views)

Hello ,

I tried with  ODBC driver by creating a UDL file, the open connection function in DB toolkit giver no error, but when I try other functions like reading a table or creating a table it gives error saying ODBC driver is expired.

My question is that why this error is not coming when I try to open a connection and when I try to test connecting it ?

Thanks ,

Sachin

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,868 Views)

@sachink wrote:

Hello ,

I tried with  ODBC driver by creating a UDL file, the open connection function in DB toolkit giver no error, but when I try other functions like reading a table or creating a table it gives error saying ODBC driver is expired.

My question is that why this error is not coming when I try to open a connection and when I try to test connecting it ?

Thanks ,

Sachin

That you have to talk with Datadirect. They are the only persons who can give you detailed information as to why this error message happens and why it happens at certain functions but not when opening the connection itself. They can disable any function they want if they determine that there is no valid license available, and leave out others from that check anytime they feel this is a requirement for some form of evaluation mode or whatever. We don't know this driver, and there are not likely any people here who played with it.

Considering that Oracle gives you free downloads for their driver it's hard to justify using a different driver that seems to require a paid license for the driver alone.

For your Oracle 10g installation you will likely want to look at the driver located on this page under "Oracle 10g Release 2 ODAC and Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio .NET"

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,859 Views)