LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer beeps when hardware is being initialized

Solved!
Go to solution

My program goes through a fairly long initialization process. While the program is initializing hardware (an oscilloscope and a picoammeter) it beeps twice. I figure that there is some sort of non-critical error occurring. I figure that I could use divide and conquer to find where the error is occurring but I was wondering if there is some way to "capture" a beep and turn it into an error message.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,973 Views)
The most obvious way is to use the Err? query that most instruments support and that most instrument drivers use.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,968 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author oyester

Huge question!  does the computer "Beep" or does one of the instruments in the system "Beep?"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,953 Views)

@oyester wrote:

My program goes through a fairly long initialization process. While the program is initializing hardware (an oscilloscope and a picoammeter) it beeps twice. I figure that there is some sort of non-critical error occurring. I figure that I could use divide and conquer to find where the error is occurring but I was wondering if there is some way to "capture" a beep and turn it into an error message.

but your hardware is working alright?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,936 Views)

Hey,

maybe the Windows Event Viewer is a good starting point to track down the "beeps".

More information about the Event Viewer here.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,925 Views)

It's very embarrassing to say this. I checked with my supervisor, and , when certain hardware has been found, a beep notifies us. So actually, if I didn't hear two beeps, something would be wrong. No I didn't write this. The previous guy, who is now my supervisor, wrote it.

Message 6 of 7
(2,766 Views)

Thank you for being courageous enough to post the findings here.  It takes a lot of guts to admit something like that, and maybe it will help someone else out on down the road.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 7 of 7
(2,754 Views)