LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

comprehensive tutorial for dynamic VI calls

Hello,

I am willing to learn (and understand) more about dynamic VI calls and related topics. After some search in the forum and elsewhere, I had left a kind of feeling that I am only finding fragments of interesting info, but not an (enough) exhaustive document. For example this KnowledgeBase doc:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4838398F3B2798A186256B82007B4ED0

Are you aware of some document/tutorial/etc., which gives a better/more detailed/more complete overview on the topic?

thanks for any info and links!

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,921 Views)

Blokk,

VIShots has a decent two part video on Dynamic Process VIs in LabVIEW.  It is a pretty long overview but I was not sure how basic you wanted to go.

http://vishots.com/dynamic-process-vis-in-labview-part1

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,900 Views)
What do you feel is missing from the knowledge base article?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,863 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
What do you feel is missing from the knowledge base article?

Mike...

For example some explanation of the option flags of the Open VI Reference function. I know there is a list of flags under the LabVIEW help of this function, but it is quite short description.

I am just interested in to find some document which is not a fragment of the whole picture lets say. I know I can hunt together lots of info from many sources, including discussion forum, but a single compact doc / tutorial would be a nice thing to read 🙂

As much as I know, there is no exhaustive discussion about these topics neither in the online training material, am I right? (Core 1-2-3. + advanced architectures)

Jacobson: thanks for the link, I check it!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,849 Views)

I am halfway in the video, nice clear explanations.

Actually I started to think about that in one of my app I do not do a dialog window call in an optimal way:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/pop-up-dialog-async-call-and-forget/m-p/3090634/highlight/true#M8838...

Probably for this purpose the invoke node method is better compared to the Call by Ref technique. If I use the invoke node method, I can easier check from the MAIN vi, whether the dialog VI is still running or not (via invoke or property nodes), and I can also "auto-dispose" its ref if necessery.

However this warning is not totally clear:

Note: Using the Invoke Node method may have the target VI run in the UI thread, which can lead to some issues if you want to have the calling VI perform adequately while the called VI is running. This happens even if you have a False constant wired to the Wait Until Done terminal. For a complete asynchronous call in a separate thread, you need to use the modify the target VI's execution by going to File»VI Properties, selecting Execution in the dialog box and selecting an execution system different than user interface or same as caller.

What do you think, what is the better method for the above simple dialog VI (XY Graph data indicator of the main application)? Invoke node, and shell I set its "Preferred Execution System" to "standard" mode?

So as you see, my knowledge is rather limited in this topic 🙂

Message 5 of 5
(2,839 Views)