LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

composition versus inheritance

I am working on a large project with multiple levels of control.  There is a top system level, an intermediate subsystem level, and a low level component.  I am interested in implementing a configuration from a file for all 3 levels.  So, I am contemplating 2 solutions.  This can allow me to edit the config file and not require a recompile of the code.  So here are the options I am thinking about to enable configuration.

1.  Make a parent class that is "Configurable".  Have the System, Subsystems and Components inherit from this "Configurable" object.  Have dynamic dispatch methods for Read Configuration and Write Configuration, etc.  Define a override method for these for each thing.  This only adds one class to the architecture, but it is the parent of almost everything.

2  Make a "Configuration" class.  Give each system, subsystem and component a child class of Configuration.  Such that each thing "has a" configuration.  This would add an additional class for every system, subsystem and component.

Thoughts?

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(2,167 Views)