From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

combo box re-scale error

So I have been having a reoccurring problem when using Combo box's on the front panel.

The programs I create get used on multiple screen resolutions and sizes. So I like to enable “maintain proportions of windows for different monitor resolutions” and “scale all objects on the front panel as the window resizes” from the VI properties<Window Size

This works great for most front panel objects, however for combo boxes I have always had issues. They seem to resize themselves every time I minimize the window, or reload the main VI. And the drop down button on the combo box gets moved and it’s time consuming to correct this. (see attachment)

My work around for this was to lock all front panel objects, but sometime I forget to lock everything at the end of the day and then the next time I open the VI I get surprised with having to fix all of the combo box’s.

I have tried grouping, as seen in the attachment, but it does not help, only locking all objects avoids this issue.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,023 Views)

bump

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,979 Views)

Hi, this is a well known issue and I have found several ways to work around it. However I must let you know that there is no specific solution for this matter for the moment. This issue has been previously reported to our R&D department. The options that you have as of now are the following:

1. use the System Combo Box or Classic Combo Box, these seem to be affected by this issue in a less frequent manner

2. Change the combo boxes for other elements such an Enums or text boxes if the applications allows this modification

3. Use property nodes to control the position and size of the combo box

Regards,

A. Acuna

A. Acuna
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,941 Views)

1. use the System Combo Box or Classic Combo Box, these seem to be affected by this issue in a less frequent manner---Tried this, didnt help any, error occured on first resize.

2. Change the combo boxes for other elements such an Enums or text boxes if the applications allows this modification   I Will try this

3. Use property nodes to control the position and size of the combo box  --Seems like so much work for somthing that should be so simple

This error has been around for at least 2 years, any expectation for a fix?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,910 Views)

For the moment, as I have mentioned, the R&D department is fully aware of this issue, however, they do not have any expected date for a fix. They work on their corrective action requests based on their priority but I do not have acces to any further information regarding the issue. 

A. Acuna
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,899 Views)

Don't have the time or inclination to look deeper...it has cost me enough time already, but I did find a workaround that is working for me. I had two system combo boxes...one scaled properly and one didn't. I even copyied them both onto a new vi....same result. clones of the working combo were fine...clones of the broken combo did not. I dsiconnected the properties nodes and deleted the offending control, Connecting a working copy and all is good. 

I'll leave it to others smarter than myself to figure out why.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,733 Views)