From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

color detection

hi all...i am relatively new to labview, please guide me a little.. i want to make a program which detects colors(atleast 5 colours). i get the live image from webcam.

please give me few different methods to approach this..and also what i should be careful about so as to not make mistakes.

initially i thought of making a cluster database for few colours which has the RGB values and trying to match them with the input. But how to convert the image to use it for comparision?

thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,141 Views)

Hey 6hari9, 

I've done some color detection/filtering before in LabVIEW and I relied pretty heavily on the IMAQ and our other vision software. Do you happen to have any NI Vision software at your disposal?

Also, a question like this would be great in the Machine Vision boards. I'm sure the folks there have plenty of information to share Cat Happy

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/bd-p/200

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,050 Views)

I would look into converting from RGB to HSL, since RGB will be very lighting dependant.  When you said webcam I get a little worried since this usually implays a very uncontrolled vision environment (poor lighting and imaging control).  Either way Hue is usually more regular than combos of R G and B for color detection.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,022 Views)