From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

close slowly for front panel

crossrulz, thanks.

Can I ask your LV or application builder version? In my case, 2012.

I will check if I can provide some examples.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 23
(725 Views)

@labmaster wrote:

crossrulz, thanks.

Can I ask your LV or application builder version? In my case, 2012.

I will check if I can provide some examples.

I'm using 2015 now.  A simple example that we can build an obvserve would be very helpful.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 23
(718 Views)

Am I correct in assuming that you are talking about starting and stopping an Executable, possibly the Host part of a Real-Time application?

I'm sure you have noticed that there can be delays both when the program starts (defined as the time between when you double-click the icon for the .EXE and the time its Front Panel appears) and stops (defined as the time between when you push the Stop button or click Close Panel and the Front Panel vanishes).

I've always explained/justified this to myself by using the following reasoning (which may or may not be totally accurate).

For Starting, a major difference between hitting the Run button of the VI in Development mode and running the Application is that in the first case, LabVIEW is fully loaded (and that takes several seconds when we first start LabVIEW) so we "ignore" this delay in Development mode, but for Executables, we need to load in the Run-Time System (which takes a second or so).

As for stopping, all of the various independently-running VIs need to be stopped.  If running an RT system, you may also have code to notify or respond to the Remote Target when shutting down, which can also take time.  Out of curiousity, when you run your code in Development mode and stop it, does it seem to stop "instantly", or might there be a similar delay?

I find that when using Executables, the mere "sudden appearance of the Front Panel" and "sudden disappearance of the Front Panel" when I start and stop an Executable make me (more) aware of small delays that I overlook when I'm in Development Mode and always confronted with a "busy display".  Seeing a Front Panel disappear is more visually obvious than seeing the background go from uniform grey to having the positioning grid reappear.

Bob Schor 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 23
(714 Views)