From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing the dt on a waveform chart

Solved!
Go to solution

hey guys,

Im trying to create a graphical representation of temperature over time, currently using a waveform chart. I want the user to be able to select the interval that the temperature reading takes place and the level that qualifies as an event worthy of note. I've got the level and the random data graphing on the same graph, which is a start, now I'm trying to get the interval between readings to reflect in the x axis.

From what I see the waveform chart always incriments by one every reading, this works fine if the measurment interval is one second but if the user selects 2 seconds I'd like the next value on the x axis to incriment by two.

I found something that has a Y value and a dt value (build waveform), I'm pretty sure im using it wrong by sending a single value at a time. is there a way to do what I'm looking to do?

Ill post a screen shot of what I have, thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,755 Views)

Instead of setting the dt for the waveform, set the T0 which wants a timestamp.  The chart will use the time you give for the T0 for the x-axis.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 8
(5,754 Views)

Like set the T0 once with a fixed time? or put the current time stamp in T0 every time?

If the first can I just use some timestamp in the past? or does it need to be the actual start time of the test? this would ideally be a test that is started once and not stopped very often if ever.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,745 Views)

Use the time that the sample was taken as the "t0" of the update. The Chart will take the "t)" as the leteral time of the sample and will post the udpate using the "T0" on the X-Axis

Spoiler
Provided the dt is not confusing and only one sample in the "Y" array, and the chart is set to NOT ignore attributes, and the plot names do not change ...

Spoiler
Where is a link to the Nugget you wrote on Waveform Charts Tim? You really have to market your Nuggets better (smiley-wink)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 8
(5,740 Views)

A waveform chart is not the best choice for requirements like this. A waveform chart maintains a history of data. That easily messes up when using timestamps and dt other than 1.

It sounds like you want to use a XY graph and maintain your customized "history".

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,731 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pathare535

@Ben wrote:
Spoiler
Where is a link to the Nugget you wrote on Waveform Charts Tim? You really have to market your Nuggets better (smiley-wink)

I was getting to it.  I have other things distracting me at the moment.  But here is the nugget I wrote: Sporatic Waveform Chart

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 8
(5,730 Views)

ohh that link what exactly what I needed, thanks guys

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,717 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

A waveform chart is not the best choice for requirements like this. A waveform chart maintains a history of data. That easily messes up when using timestamps and dt other than 1.

It sounds like you want to use a XY graph and maintain your customized "history".

Norbert

See Tim's Nugget.

I have been using the WF Chart since lv 6i

Spoiler
(that is an "i" not a 1)

and as long as you follow the rules it works just fine.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,659 Views)