This is what I'd meant: 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,188 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,186 Views)

Thanks Mr. Jim,

That's what I'd thought too as I was only able to do multiple color changes for different subsets of string but not highlight.  So your explanation makes senses. 

Message Edited by lavalava on 10-27-2008 04:27 PM
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(2,181 Views)

You're welcome.  (I wish I had a more positive answer for you!)

For what it's worth, here's an example with a picture control.  It can be tricky to get the coordinates right, but it works.

Message 14 of 18
(2,174 Views)
Wow, thanks for the answer Mr. Jim.  Would you think this method would decrease the operating speed of the program comparing to string indicator?  I'm building an active decoder, at the output of the decoder is about 1225 characters.  I need to highlight about 4 strings of 120 characters each.
Then again, I'm not sure if I can use this method either since there is no word wrap nor scroll
Message Edited by lavalava on 10-27-2008 04:50 PM
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(2,170 Views)

It's possible that it could use a lot of resources, depending on a lot of factors, but I tend to think that it would be unlikely.  I wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal on a newer computer that isn't bogged down by a lot of other processes.  If it does becomes a problem, decreasing the frequency of indicator updates should help.  By this I mean either adding in a larger delay in your loop or maybe running your interface updates in a separate loop.

What I'd be more worried about is the tedious nature of figuring all of those coordinates out in such a large string.  Are you sure you can't just change the color, maybe make string subsets bold, or use some other effect?  There might very well be an easier way to accomplish your desired result.

Message Edited by Mr. Jim on 10-27-2008 04:59 PM
Message 16 of 18
(2,165 Views)

yes, I'm able to change the color fine ...it would be nice if the highlight method works so I can emulate an interface for a machine that we use at work.  But then again I think don't the picture method is worth it since you can't scroll or do word wrap. 

Thanks though that was fun to learn, I'd thought that was a pretty cool trick you just showed me. 

Message Edited by lavalava on 10-27-2008 07:10 PM
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(2,139 Views)
Sorry it wasn't much more help...  Stuff like that always comes in handy eventually, though.  Good luck!
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(2,118 Views)