LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change a VI's background color

how can I change a VI's background color ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(15,818 Views)
You can make it the same way as to change other objects color in LV: use the color tool from tools palette.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(15,818 Views)
If you're looking to change it programmatically, you can use property nodes.

Drop a property node from the Application Control palette, right click on it and change the VI Server Class to VI. Next, change the Property to Front Panel, (not Front Panel Window). Now right click on the Panel output and create another property node for Color. Write to the Color property to change the panel color.

The attached image shows these two nodes.

Don�t forget to close the refnums.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 3 of 12
(15,819 Views)
"If you're looking to change it programmatically" -> not programmatically. How can I set background color in preferences ?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(15,818 Views)
There is no way to do it in the VI preferences. You need to do what the other poster refered to.

From the Front Panel, open the Tools palette and select the Paintbrush tool. Then right click on the panel itself and select the color you want from the color palette that pops up. This is the same procedure you use to change the color on anything in LabVIEW.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(15,818 Views)
If you want every new VI that you open to have a default front panel color, go to Tools>Options>Colors. Make sure the Use default colors box is not checked and then click on the Front Panel box and oick the color you want.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(15,818 Views)

Hi Ed,

I tried to follow your statements but I couldn't get the "Color" property from Panel property node. I can get other properties like "Controls[], Decorations[] and so on...." but no "Color". I tried to copy and past such property node and all was right.....but I would like to know how to reach that following normal statements step by step.

Thx

Message 7 of 12
(15,491 Views)

"fandicolo" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1175699411908-502270@exchange.ni.com...
Hi Ed,
I tried to follow your statements but I couldn't get the "Color" property from Panel property node. I can get other properties like "Controls[], Decorations[] and so on...." but no "Color". I tried to copy and past such property node and all was right.....but I would like to know how to reach that following normal statements step by step.
Thx

From LV8 on, the color of the front panel is "hidden" under the Pane.

If you have a property node, right click it and select Link to>Pane. Now you should have a property "Pane Color".

Regards,

Wiebe.
Message 8 of 12
(15,489 Views)

Thx Wiebe

Filippo

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(15,463 Views)
This pane color thing seems to have changed in LV 8.x. Before I could send a reference to it and change other subvi's or vi's FP color, now it seems that it doesn't accept reference (pane color property that is), because it is now always linked to whatever vi you're working in. Am I wrong? Is there a way to specify a reference for it?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(15,383 Views)