From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cascade power smu 4130

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey,

I'm trying to cascade two pxi 4130 (power smu) by needing at least 28 volts forsomething else. After wiring those two pxis, I found a Problem : by using labview as shown on the picture below, after generating 14 V for the first and 14V for the second, I'm obtainning 21V on my external mutimeter (instead of 28) AND on the indicator, it is also 28 BUT by using the NI DCPower Soft front pannel, I obtained 28V so could you help me find where this lost comes from ? Why do I have 21 instead of 28 on my multimeter ?

Thanks 😉

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,931 Views)

Stick this in there:

!1-1.png

AutoRange default is Off the SFP sets the range to whatever the voltage level needs - you don't

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,916 Views)

Thanks Jeff, 

I tryed with the property node, but it generated another error 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,904 Views)

Yeah.  you need to add active channel to make that p-node work as intended and wire it just like the other vis (no hardware here so I can't test it).  or just use the set voltage level range

!1-1.png 

and set the range before you set the voltage level.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,889 Views)

I tried, but same problem ! 

Do you have a labview example of  tow cascaded power SMU (NI PXI 4130) ? 

Thanks for helping 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,838 Views)

Order matters.

The Active Channel has to be above your Autorange setting.

Property nodes get set top down.

Message 6 of 13
(2,832 Views)

And set the range BEFORE you set the level!  That property node needs to move much farther left on the block diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,825 Views)

In general, do the steps in the same order you would do it if you were to set it up manually.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,823 Views)

The good new is that my VI is now working, but I still have a question (sorry 😛 ) : Why do I have 22V on my multimeter instead of the 30V as shown on labview ? 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,819 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GhostCole

You know.  A snippet would really help much more than the attached pngs.  Just edit select all (Ctrl+A) and Edtit>>Create snippet from selectionSmiley Wink

You are still setting the range after setting the level but that's not your problem.

You are seeing 22V on your meter because the SMU outputs are not in series (Wired wrong) If they WERE in series the currents would be identical.  Kirchoff's Laws cannot be violated.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,799 Views)