LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant see ni-visa

Hi,

I have LabView installed as well as Measurement and Automation Explorer version 4.7 and am trying to Get HPVEE to work with Agilents' VISA, older program.  I looked at the Agilent VISA open report and it does state that I need to activate Tulip of NI's Passport function, but unfortunately when I go to the tools menu of measurement and automation explorer version 4.7 I do not see a Tools>NI-VISA>VISA Options.  The only menu items under Tools are NI Update Service, NI Registration Wizard, Real-Time Disk Utilities and NI_DAQmx config.  I do not have admin privileges on the machine, do you think this could be the reason I cannot get to the NI-VISA?

Any ideas?

Thanks Paul.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,401 Views)

You did not explicitly mention that you have NI-VISA installed. Do you? Installing MAX does not automatically install NI-VISA. Look in MAX in the "Software" branch to see what software is actually installed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,390 Views)

Thanks for the response, looks like NI-VISA 5.0 and NI-VIS Runtime 5.0 shows up.   I have another computer with MAX 4.5 and I have admin rights on it.  I was able to access the NI VIsa Passport editor in NI-MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,388 Views)

I may be wide of the mark with this but.. Did you install the Agilent I/O library after NI-Visa? if so I think it installs Agilent Visa as the "primary" driver by default and you need to do something to allow side by side mode. Was a long time since I did this so I cant remmember exactly. There should be the option to make Agilent Visa the secondary driver..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,379 Views)

@svt4cobra6 wrote:

Thanks for the response, looks like NI-VISA 5.0 and NI-VIS Runtime 5.0 shows up.   I have another computer with MAX 4.5 and I have admin rights on it.  I was able to access the NI VIsa Passport editor in NI-MAX.

I can't honestly say whether you need admin rights to perform that specific operation, but given that you can do it on another computer where you have admin rights, it's a safe bet that you do. Try to have someone with admin access log in and see if it works.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,373 Views)

@SteveBale wrote:

I may be wide of the mark with this but.. Did you install the Agilent I/O library after NI-Visa? if so I think it installs Agilent Visa as the "primary" driver by default and you need to do something to allow side by side mode. Was a long time since I did this so I cant remmember exactly. There should be the option to make Agilent Visa the secondary driver..

I you try to install NI-VISA after having installed Agilent VISA, then NI-VISA will overwrite Agilent VISA. If you try to install Agilent VISA after having installed NI-VISA, then the Agilent installer will ask you if you want to install Agilent VISA as a secondary VISA. This wasn't always done by the Agilent installer. Some could argue that the NI's approach of "it's ours or nothing" is counter-competition.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,369 Views)

Thanks for the additional information.  The Agilent VISA was installed after mesurement and Automation and shows up as the secondary VISA with the primary being National Instruments.  I will see if I can get someone with admin priv to log in.  This is Agilents' tool and it shows VISA Devices managed by Agilent Connection Expert Unreachable but those managed by NI-MAX as OK status, also specifies to enable passport to make those managed by Agilent available.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,363 Views)