LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot place sub-vi on diagram

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently changed my monitor from a 24" flat screen TV to a 19" traditional flat panel LCD PL1910M, now I cannot place any sub vi's on the block diagram, whether they are things I wrote or from the examples directory. I select it and then nothing happens when normally it would appear and you could place it where you wanted. My system has worked for years without issue, this is a real problem! Anyone have advice please chime in. 

Windows 7 32bit 

Labview 2011 FDS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,764 Views)

I can't see any reason your monitor would have any impact.  What else changed?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,750 Views)
Simply changing monitors will not cause this problem. Something else changed. What?

There are many ways to get something on a block diagram. Right clinking to bring up the functions palette. Dragging from one diagram to another. These are just two examples. What have you tried? What were the results?

Your description is not clear. What do you means that when you select it nothing happens? What are you selecting? What are you expecting to happen?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,743 Views)
  • Do you have the same problem if you start from scratch with a new VI?
  • Have you tried to see if there is an updated version of your graphics driver?
  • Can you still place things on the front panel?
  • Do you run any unusual antivirus or other security software?
  • How long did you wait until you decided that "nothing happens"?
  • Are your diagrams exceptionally large?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,725 Views)

I can place any of the native functions on the diagram, it is when I got to select VI and browse to an LLB and pick something from inside the LLB. 

Whether it is an LLB I created or a native Labview llb. When I select the vi to place, it never appears on the diagram.  But I can select some code and then say create vi and it will creat a sub vi which I can then save as a new file. I have tried MASS compile on my directory but no help. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,705 Views)

This happens on a new blank vi diagram as well. nothing else open. McAfee antivirus installed (but has been for over a year)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,700 Views)

I had a small VI running communicating to a serial port and the system crashed and upon restart labview recovered 2 VI's since then I cannot place a vi on the diagram when selected from an llb file.  I cannot place a vi even if it is not within an llb. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,691 Views)

@JCS5920 wrote:

I can place any of the native functions on the diagram, it is when I got to select VI and browse to an LLB and pick something from inside the LLB. 

OK, that's a much more specific problem than originally described where you said: "... now I cannot place any sub vi's on the block diagram". So it is specific to llbs. Can you open the sub VI by double-clicking it in the llb and then drag it's icon to the original VI?

Are the VIs in the llb a similar LabVIEW version?

(I would still try to temporarily disable the antivirus and see if it makes a difference. ***** updates occur often, could be an interference with a new signature) 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,681 Views)

The more likely cause, (Let's assume every one else is right because a hardware driver for a monitor would not cause the trouble) is a corruption of the LabVIEW resource directory and/or a addon toolkit that depends on that directory being a symbolic path.  LabVIEW 2011\Resource\ is not a symbolic path LabVIEW 2012+\Resource\ is.  (A very nice new feature of 2012)

So now we get to what TK's and addons are installed at at what version ----but first, attempt a repair of LabVIEW-  Some folder may have gotten inadvertantly moved.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,679 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JCS5920

Did the Repair of the installation, no luck, updated to LV2011SP1 - no luck, 

Turns out I had "TEAMVIEWER" running in the background which intereferes with the that right click function. Unbelieveable. Exited TEAMVIEWER and right click works again!  Thank you all for the help. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,613 Views)