LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot open block diagram

I opened a VI I recently created and when I try to open the block diagram its greyed out. doing Ctrl I and selecting Protection shows file as Locked(no password) and all options to unlock are greyed out. Any ideas how I can sort this out?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 33
(7,148 Views)

try once to mass compile the vi....but not sure whether it will help....

could you also post that vi?

Regards
Guru (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 33
(7,139 Views)

Did you create that VI or did you obtain it from someone else?

Was the VI saved without the block diagram?

Did you try to open the block diagram by selecting "Window" from the menu (at top right) and then selecting "Show Block Diagram"?

Are you the same user (logged in) that created the VI?  Was it created on another PC?

Message 3 of 33
(7,124 Views)

Did you create that VI or did you obtain it from someone else?

I created the VI.

Was the VI saved without the block diagram?

Not sure how you do that so guess the answer is no. Normally I create or edit a VI and then select File save or save as.

Did you try to open the block diagram by selecting "Window" from the menu (at top right) and then selecting "Show Block Diagram"?

Yes, but that option is greyed out. Usually use CTRL E but that did not work either.

Are you the same user (logged in) that created the VI? 

Yes.

Was it created on another PC?

Possibly, I use a couple of PC, all on a shared network and VI is saved on a network drive.

Selecting File/ VI properties/Protection, all options are greyed out and note the option ticked is Locked(no password), does that help?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 33
(7,114 Views)

You appear to have done everything right.  I doubt that being on the network would be a culprit. 

You've probably mapped the drive, right?

Did you even save it with the Locked property?  

I am wondering if someone else had access to one of your PC's and played a trick on you.

I tried a test VI and I can open the block diagram.  See image below (composite of 2 images)

Message Edited by Ray.R on 11-20-2009 10:31 AM
Message 5 of 33
(7,098 Views)

You appear to have done everything right.  I doubt that being on the network would be a culprit. 

You've probably mapped the drive, right?

Correct, no reason to suspect any network issue.

Did you even save it with the Locked property?  

no, was not even aware of these locking option till now.

I am wondering if someone else had access to one of your PC's and played a trick on you.

highly unlikely, plus my network account is password protected.

I tried a test VI and I can open the block diagram.  See image below (composite of 2 images)

That's interesting, I did this too, created a test vi, selected locked(no password), saved it and then reloaded it and could still view the block diagram, just could not edit it. Also noted I could go in and unlock the file and edit it, even another user was able to unlock/edit it.

Thats different to my case where I cannot see block diagram at all, nor can I remove the lock.

I even got NI appls guy to check it out and I was informed theres no recovery path for block diagram once this locked(no password) option is invoked, but its a big mystery how this came to be and how come I can still view the test VI block with this option involked.

All this makes me think theres something more than just locking the file out behind my problem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 33
(7,082 Views)

Interesting mistery.....

If it is just a simple VI witout any proprietary information, please attach it here so we can have a look.

And please answer a few questions:

1. What is your LabVIEW version?
  2. Is the VI inside a lvlib?
  3. Is the VI currently also running as part of a different program or application instance?
  4. Is it a plain VI or something else (e.g. xcontrol facade).
  5. Did you restart LabVIEW and only open that VI? Still the same?
  6. Are you using source code control.
  7. ....
Message Edited by altenbach on 11-20-2009 08:57 AM
Message 7 of 33
(7,072 Views)
Have you tried to create a new VI which creates a VI reference to the VI is question and sets the lock state programmatically? Any errors?
Message 8 of 33
(7,059 Views)

Could the VI be locked because it was part of a llb or a class?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 33
(7,043 Views)

altenbach wrote:
Have you tried to create a new VI which creates a VI reference to the VI is question and sets the lock state programmatically? Any errors?

That's a good idea..   I didn't think about that one.

It is a mystery, isn't it..?..

I'm kinda living a mystery of my own with TestStand..  - sigh - 😞

Message 10 of 33
(7,040 Views)