From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you break from a subvi without stopping top-level VI execution?

Hello,

I'm wondering if, in LV, there is an easy way to exit a subVI at some point in its execution and return to a top-level VI ('easy' being by using a simple function, similiar in idea to 'break' or 'goto' from other languages). I have a state machine for a top-level, and each state executes one or more subvi's to perform specific functions. The subvi's that are in while loops are easy enough to stop when I want, but i'm wondering about the ones in flat sequences or the like.I tried 'stop' in application control, but that stops my top-level VI too.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,425 Views)

-SK- wrote:
The subvi's that are in while loops are easy enough to stop when I want, but i'm wondering about the ones in flat sequences or the like.I tried 'stop' in application control, but that stops my top-level VI too.

How exactly have you designed the interaction between the top-level VI and the subVI? Is it possible to post sample code that explains this?

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,410 Views)
I'm assuming you're referring to needing to do this while in debug mode. Unfortunately, no, there is no easy way, and that's primarily because LabVIEW is a dataflow language, not a "procedural" language.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,409 Views)

Adnan: the interaction is pretty simple; the subvi's receive their inputs from, and pass their outputs to, the top-level VI in the standard way. I'm not using global variables or references or anything. 

smercurio: I've tried a few things since posting, and looked around a bit more, and I'm getting the impression that you are right, and I must do it the long way.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,399 Views)