LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can run .exe but cannot use .exe file with 64 bit operating system

I built an application in labview (32 bit) in xp. The exe file generated from the labview 2009 is able to function well in windows vista (32 bit). For this i installed run time engine and since my application requires vision tools so i also installed the vision run time engine 2009. The application reads values of a device (from microcontroller) from the virtual com port (through USB).

Now the problem is the .exe cannot response in Windows 7 (64 bit). For this i installed Run Time engine 2009 (for 32 bit) and also vision run time engine. The exe runs but does not read any value from the COM port and does not response any thing.

This is somehow related to 64 bit operating system. 

Further to mention, the control input for 'VISA resource name' input of 'Visa Configure Serial Port' block generally detects the COM Port where the device is connected (e.g. COM1, COM2 etc)  and used to display the choices (on drop down menu) but with 64 bit operating system this is not happening.

What could be the possible problem? I would be happy to know if someone has come across this problem or if someone can help me to solve this problem.

Simply i would like to run an .exe application build in 32 bit to run in an operating system of 64 bit. This application has VISA and Vision motion tools.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,403 Views)

I understand that the VISA dropdown list is empty on the 64bit system. Is this correct?

You should open MAX and double check.

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,399 Views)

Thank you for your help but sorry i could not understand about MAX and the solution itself to check.

I would be happy if you could elaborate the solution in detail.

Yes, the dropdown list only shows the default value that was made during the development in Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,392 Views)

NI VISA is a software abstraction layer for different physical interfaces (e.g. RS232).

I understood that your application is working with this in order to select and communicate with COM interfaces.

MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer) is the tool to configure and test NI drivers, in this case VISA.

So if no COM shows up in MAX, you have a malfunction (or missing) installation of VISA.

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,388 Views)

Thank you once again.

Yes i am also thinking something similar about not able to read the com port.

If i am not wrong MAX is only available if we can install Labview. I need the application to run in any new computer coz my requirement is only with .exe.

So does it mean that i have to install Labview on the new computer to monitor with MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,382 Views)

MAX is installed when you install LabVIEW, but it is also installed when you install drivers like NI-VISA. For an executable the target computer needs the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine, but it also need to have the drivers installed if you are using hardware. In your case you said you are using the serial port. Thus, you need to install NI-VISA. It sounds like you did not. If you did not, that's why your executable does not work. Hence, you need to install NI-VISA.

You should consider creating an installer with your project so that the required software is installed all at once. Details for this are provided in the LabVIEW Help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,376 Views)

Yes, thank you for the solution.

I did not install NI VISA because it was running on other computers with 32 bit operating systems without installing VISA driver (how??).

Anyway i will try with this one also and will get back soon.

Also thank you for your further suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,372 Views)

@fhs_dur wrote:

Yes, thank you for the solution.

I did not install NI VISA because it was running on other computers with 32 bit operating systems without installing VISA driver (how??).

It probably got installed and you didn't realize it. Measurement and Automation Explorer will tell you what NI software you have installed. Just launch it, and expand "My System" and then "Software".

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,369 Views)