From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not see a sbRIO in MAX running on a virtual machine

I am trying to connect a sbRIO-9606 to a Windows 7 virtual machine (VMWare) running on a MacPro.  I can open a CMD prompt and ping the sbRIO but when I run MAX, it does not appear in Remote Systems.

The virtual NIC is bridged to the pyhsical one (on the MAC) 

Does anyone have experience doing this, or know why I cannot see the sbRIO?

Who is John Galt?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,273 Views)

Hi jaketc,

I've had similar issues at times depending on how my host and guest operating sytems network interfaces are configured.  It sounds like your settings are correct (bridged), but it is difficult to guarantee.  The first step I usually take is disable any network interfaces (on the host and guest OS) that are not critical to connecting to the remote target.

A more generic answer is to walk through the troubleshooting steps in this document, but it won't cover the virtualized OS considerations of your setup:  

Why Does My CompactRIO Controller or Single-Board RIO Not Show Up in Measurement & Automation Explor...

Because you can ping the target, it sounds like the Single-Board RIO already has an IP address, you know what it is, and ethernet communication can be established.  When I've been in that situation in the past, I've been able to manually add the RIO target to MAX.  To find a system that is already configured with an IP address, simply right-click on Remote Systems and select Create New. Enter the appropriate configuration information in the dialog box, and MAX will manually place that system in the Remote Systems listing and all tasks will function properly.

Cheers,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,267 Views)