LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use my recently purchased LV serial number to install and run earlier LV version

primarily to be sure that I am working in a compatible manner with external partners running earlier version of LV and who have let their subscription lapse of course. Best we all just work with the lowest baseline and I can defer any LV improved features and functions until everybody has upgraded.

So what I am hoping for is - uninstall latest version of LV - install earlier version of LV from borrowed partner install media[*] - apply my recently purchased serial - voila collaborative LV development at the earliest version across the external partners

[*] or can I just download earlier version from somewheres on the NI site?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,721 Views)

Hi Steve,

all "serial number" issues should be discussed with your local NI representative! Just call them…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,718 Views)

What I have been told is that a license for LabVIEW 2013 is good for any previous version of LabVIEW.  This for those who keep up their SSP but don't necessarily want to upgrade for whatever reason.

But as GerdW said, you should really talk to your local NI rep and discuss this with them just to make sure you aren't in some weird corner case we are not aware of.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,711 Views)

This is what I see from:

http://www.ni.com/labview/whatsnew/upgrade/

Every purchase of LabVIEW software includes an annual subscription to the NI Standard Service Program (SSP). With this membership, you are entitled to yearly releases of LabVIEW, scheduled maintenance releases, worldwide support from NI application engineers, and on-demand training courses.

From what I can see, the license is for LabVIEW software, period.  If you are current with your club membership dues (the SSP) you are entitled to the latest LabVIEW versions each time they come out, plus all the previous versions.

Disclaimer:

I don't represent NI, and all conclusions, implied or explicit, are my opinions only, and do not represent NI in any capacity, whatsoever.  (In other words, get an opinion from NI.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,694 Views)

Hello Steve,

To better answer your question, and for posterity:

NI Standard Service Program

http://www.ni.com/services/software_benefits.htm

Per that page- at the time of this post, NI SSP includes access to earlier versions of the software covered by your SSP contract.  As far as I know, your SSP must be current and linked to your ni.com profile, if that's done you should be able to access the software your SSP covers at ni.com/downloads after logging in. 

Best Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,664 Views)

thanks to both - this from the second website (http://www.ni.com/services/software_benefits.htm):

• Previous Software Versions
    Access current and older versions of NI software. Your serial number activates any older version of your software in addition to the version you purchased at NI Product Downloads.

So I reckon I can just uninstall the latest version from my PC, get a loan of the other teams older version install media[*] and do a fresh install using my recent serial and presto we are all on the same dev tool version.

I dont suppose older versions of LV can be downloaded from anywhere - this download section doesnt go very far back:

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n8:28,ssnav:pdl/

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,640 Views)

I've found versions as far back as 7.1.

Right now on my computer I have versions 7.1, 8.0, 8.6, 2012 and 2013.  All with the same license.  You can do this as long as you understand which drivers go with what version, if you need to use them.

In other words, you can have several different versions on your computer at the same time.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,629 Views)

just out of interest where did you find these earlier versions for download?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,616 Views)

Steve, your link to the NI Products Download is where you would get it.  Search on "LabVIEW."  You might have to have an active SSP to see them, though.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,603 Views)